April 16, 2024, 10:35:09 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Was OK Computer good?

Started by squirrelfriend, April 15, 2016, 10:05:32 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

C.Mongler

Honestly, Funeral by Arcade Fire was just some average indie drivel

squirrelfriend

Quote from: C.Mongler on April 17, 2016, 06:06:33 AM
true

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

nah funeral aged pretty good. id say that about the rest of their albums tho.

squirrelfriend

April 17, 2016, 10:33:55 AM #33 Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 10:39:21 AM by squirrelfriend
i didn't get a cathartic release from listening to funeral. in fact i didn't feel anything from listening to it other than meh.
belongs in the garbaggio tbh
like i've heard testimonials claiming they speak to the "current generation" but i was 15 and they sounded like out of touch libbies to me
and they didn't do anything remarkably different from indie music at the time
i don't want to buy their music at all tbh considering their stance against edm

Samus Aran

Quote from: Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo on April 17, 2016, 10:08:46 AM
nah funeral aged pretty good. id say that about the rest of their albums tho.

same, i still like funeral but not so much for their other albums

YPrrrr

Ugh how do you guy all suck on bands' dicks for years and then suddenly come to the same conclusion that it's not that great. It's almost like you get your music opinions from other sources and copy them..................
Quote from: squirrelfriend on April 17, 2016, 10:33:55 AM
i didn't get a cathartic release from listening to funeral. in fact i didn't feel anything from listening to it other than meh.
belongs in the garbaggio tbh
like i've heard testimonials claiming they speak to the "current generation" but i was 15 and they sounded like out of touch libbies to me
and they didn't do anything remarkably different from indie music at the time
i don't want to buy their music at all tbh considering their stance against edm
I don't think it's meant to be cathartic

I still like all of Arcade Fire's albums. The Funeral is probably at the bottom for me other than their debut but it's still good. And I would disagree it's like other generic indie music, they are much better musicians than most of the indie scene; at the time particularly.

squirrelfriend

April 17, 2016, 12:37:45 PM #36 Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 12:41:12 PM by squirrelfriend
Quote from: YPR Classic on April 17, 2016, 12:32:57 PM
I don't think it's meant to be cathartic
umm it's an album with declared themes of death and acceptance why is that not so
i think early '90s madonna gave me more emotion

Samus Aran

you can't really expect catharsis, otherwise it's not really genuine. i feel like it's also not really indicative of quality

Samus Aran

let's hear your next discussion starter opinion c.mongler

squirrelfriend

April 17, 2016, 12:56:23 PM #39 Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 01:28:08 PM by squirrelfriend
i mean if it works for you it's okay
i'm just like i don't get the appeal. i think it's objectively cathartic for the band at least.
there's often this pretense about indie music that it's different from the mainstream in that it explores uncharted territory... and that it has a message
i didn't see either of the aforementioned common indie cliches from it so i guess you can say it's unique in that it's bland.
thus, i think it does indeed have something to do with the quality. are they better musicians? i think they're good at putting sentences together at the very least
ok, i'll admit that the arcade fire made me cry — out of boredom

eta: also as an additional comment to your first point about how shouldn't i expect catharsis: relistening to it, the album does sound quite contrived. let's appropriate exotic cultures and add some unusual instrumentation. maybe that's why i didn't feel it. the emotion didn't feel genuine. thank you kaz for helping me further rationalize why i hate the arcade fire.

Samus Aran

np

bear in mind i never said i thought it was a great album, i just like it. and i never got any sort of cathartic feelings from it either, except maybe "wake up" which i used to get ~the feels~ from back in my early indie music days. but i still think the album is well-constructed in most ways and i still like it

but i will agree that the arcade fire in general is pretty contrived, especially in always trying to play on a listener's sense of childhood nostalgia

squirrelfriend

tbh i think one could feasibly semi-enjoy arcade fire (or really any artist such as britney jean spears) nowadays if they listened to it during a memorable period

like i wouldn't praise britney spears now, but ...baby one more time evoked the best times of my life. (i was going to use sugar ray at first but then i was like britney's better) even though it wasn't a good tune then/now.
my bloody valentine is the same thing for me. my mom listened to them a lot during my childhood before we had our internet connection, so i got memories associated with them too.

i think this sort of explains the continued popularity of the "classic rock" radio format (and the praise for arcade fire sort of mirrors the praise for the beatles)

Travis

Quote from: YPR Classic on April 17, 2016, 12:32:57 PM
Ugh how do you guy all suck on bands' dicks for years and then suddenly come to the same conclusion that it's not that great. It's almost like you get your music opinions from other sources and copy them..................
this is hilariously true btw

Hiro

Funeral is a v. good album, but Neon Bible is my personal favorite. Also really liked The Suburbs. Reflektor had a few good songs but is largely very forgettable
Funny enough I think my opinion on Arcade Fire is the same as Radiohead; I really like a lot of their music but don't really consider myself a big fan

strongbad

aphex twin is still cool though right everyone

Go Up