April 24, 2024, 08:27:10 AM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

itt play roguelikes w/ strongbad

Started by strongbad, March 21, 2016, 06:25:24 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

strongbad

March 21, 2016, 06:25:24 PM Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 08:04:19 PM by antmaster5000
i was recommending nethack for a while but that was a horrible intro to roguelikes. i had a great time with the game but man it is outdated in so many aspects.

ive been playing Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup lately and it is SO GOOD
if you like any kind of RPG or strategy games you should give it a college try

reasons why it is good and why you should invest some time to be a roguelike player:

• you don't need to be constantly referencing shit to understand how the game works- all the ingame explanations like looking at stuff in your inventory is great

• it looks pretty with the default tileset (i don't use ASCII for it)

• really intuitive interface and controls. you can press 'o' to autoexplore in the most efficient way possible (sounds lame but makes early levels so nice), you can press '5' to rest until any status effect wears off/hp restores/mana restores, and you autopickup useful shit

• SO MANY RACES AND CLASSES that all play so differently. you can be a minitour bezerker and plow through shit, you can be a summoner and let little imps shit fight for you, a centaur hunter and snipe everything, an OCTOPODE and not be able to wear armor but you can wear 8 rings AND MORE

• amazing RNG like every dungeon level looks so beautiful and unique and feels like it was a hand crafted level

seriously though this is such a damn good game and such a great into to roguelikes and why they are the OBJECTIVELY the BEST kinds of games

https://crawl.develz.org/download.htm

it is free to play and download. there are online servers you can play on to compare high scores and shit but i've found them to be slightly laggy which is annoying so i just play offline. this is definitely one of the most popular modern "true" roguelikes, and you should find out for yourself why!!!!

so far i think my best character has made it to level 9 which is barely out of early game. shit gets hard though i need to work on my character builds

INCENTIVES

For every person who has made it to:
DLVL 2 (to prove that you've tried the game) I will reward 1000 luts
DLVL 6 (to prove that you've invested some time) I will reward 3000 luts
DLVL 9 (as far as me) I will reward 5000 luts

If you earn a score higher than my PR (I think 2500?) I will reward 10k luts
Incentives must be proven with a screenshot

strongbad

Hiro

strongbad

C.Mongler

strongbad

what have you tried

or are you talking about the class and just being silly

silvertone

ii was playing dungeon crawl last night and i forgot the controls and i didnt have internet or else i'd have IM'd u the Big Q

strongbad

dude yes please hit me up it is a very impressive game
i've had a lot of fun with summoners so far

strongbad

yup still having fun with my roguelikes

silvertone

to explore a dungeon is to reveal the labyrinth of the soul thus providing unity.

strongbad

yeah playing deep elf summoners is pretty fun
in my best runs i'll have a bunch of ice beasts that i'm commanding around the dungeon while going for snipes with a bow or spear

strongbad

had a really good run with a summoner last night
got to lvl7 of the lair, and got the fuck out because of death yaks. then kept going in the normal dungeon and made it to dlvl3 of the orcish mines before i died to an orc knight that was way more powerful than i expected

trying out a spriggan enchanter and am having a lot of fun. you basically put enemies to sleep from afar, and then sneak up on them (because you train stealth) and one hit them with a dagger. unfortunately i hear that enemies are more resistant to hexes later in the game so i need to start focusing on some other kind of spellcasting ;-;

Go Up