April 19, 2024, 04:32:00 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Ace Attorney and other VN/Adventure Games

Started by bluaki, March 05, 2016, 10:21:50 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

bluaki

March 05, 2016, 10:21:50 PM Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 01:52:35 PM by bluaki
I was about to make an Ace Attorney thread then decided to make this broader one.

There are quite a few notable recent and upcoming releases even among the very few franchises that are popular outside Japan.

Ace Attorney:
* Ace Attorney 6 is releasing June 9 in Japan, sometime later elsewhere
* The Ace Attorney anime started on April 2.
* Dai Gyakuten Saiban / The Great Ace Attorney (the Victorian-era England spinoff with Sherlock Holmes) released in Japan last summer. It will probably never get an official translation, but an eventual fan patch is likely

Danganronpa:
* Danganronpa 1 released on Steam in February (Windows, OS X, and Linux)
* Danganronpa 2 released on Steam on April 18
* Danganronpa V3 is releasing on PS4 and Vita sometime this year (at least in Japan)
* Danganronpa 3 (an anime) is also airing sometime this year

Zero Escape:
* Zero Escape 3: Zero Time Dilemma is releasing in the US for 3DS and Vita on June 28
* Japan will get it on June 30 for 3DS, Vita, and PC
* US will get a Steam release later in 2016

Chase:
* Unrelated but very similar to Hotel Dusk and Last Window and created by many of the same people
* In Japan, releasing Spring 2016 for 3DS. No translation has been announced.

bluaki

March 05, 2016, 10:40:59 PM #1 Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 11:09:59 PM by bluaki
Some recent news:

Ace Attorney 6:
* Maya Fey is back after being absent from the last two main games and all three spinoffs. link
* Japan preorder bonus costumes: Furio Tigre for Phoenix, maid outfit for Athena, Ryuunosuke (DGS protag) outfit for Apollo link
* New trailer [spoiler=youtube][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_lNNGjr8PI[/youtube][/spoiler]

Zero Escape:
* There are portrait images for 8 of the participants, of which at least 3 are returning characters from 999/VLR. link
* There are more announcements/trailer/etc coming about a week from now, during the week of GDC

Commander Fuckass

http://psnprofiles.com/TheMaysian][/URL]3DS Friend Code: 5086-5790-7151

C.Mongler

man i gotta beat VLR. 999 was the shit but i didnt want to play/read two VNs back to back so i put VLR down for a while and never came back to it

TooB

I do think that 999 was a bit better than vlr, but still amazing.
Can't wait for zero escape 3

C.Mongler

yeah after i finish reading brave new world (i'm 24 and its 2016, lol, i know) i might restart VLR as my commute game/book lol, really wanna be ON THE GROUND FLOOR when zero escape 3 drops ya know

Mando Pandango

I played through the first two Ace Attorney games and part of the third (emulated them and lost my save on the third so I said fuck it). I always thought Zero Escape looked cool.

*shrug*
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

reeper

I fucking love Ace Attorney. Apollo Justice was okay  :3

bluaki

http://gematsu.com/2016/03/3ds-adventure-game-chase-unsolved-cases-investigation-division-another-code-staff-announced

I'll call this the most surprising announcement in quite a while.

Hotel Dusk and Last Window are two games developed by Cing for DS in 2007 and 2010. Cing filed bankruptcy in 2010 only two months after the Japanese release of Last Window. They also made two Trace Memory (aka Another Code) games in 2005 and 2009. I haven't played the unreleased-in-US Another Code sequel yet, but I enjoyed the other three games.

Although the characters visible in this teaser resemble Kyle Hyde and Rachel, they're different people who supposedly act a lot like them. Maybe they wanted to make a Last Window sequel but couldn't get the rights to it?

ME##

i need to play the ds ace attorney games but i wish ds games weren't so ugly on the 3ds :(

Hiro

last and only ace attorney game I played was justice for all, which I really enjoyed but got impossibly stuck on halfway through
always wanted to get more into the series, this new one looks great and I was really digging Great Ace Attorney as well
zero escape always seemed good, and I really wanted trace memory and hotel dusk back when they came out
but there are tons of games i want and no money so we'll see if I ever get any of these

bluaki

Quote from: David on March 11, 2016, 01:09:07 PM
i need to play the ds ace attorney games but i wish ds games weren't so ugly on the 3ds :(
The Ace Attorney Trilogy on 3DS looks nicer, costs less, and even has some fixed text when compared to all three of the original games on DS. Although that Trilogy is also available on iOS and Wii, they're much buggier and it honestly looks worse there because the art wasn't designed to be upscaled that much.

But that's actually only half of the DS Ace Attorney games. Apollo Justice and both Ace Attorney Investigations games are good too and haven't yet been ported anywhere else.

Quote from: ʜɨɍɵ҈҈ on March 11, 2016, 11:44:45 PM
last and only ace attorney game I played was justice for all, which I really enjoyed but got impossibly stuck on halfway through
always wanted to get more into the series, this new one looks great and I was really digging Great Ace Attorney as well
Justice For All has some of the worst cases in the series; only its last (fourth) case is particularly good compared to anything else in the other games. If you stopped only halfway through that game, the rest of the series only goes up from there.

ME##

Quote from: bluaki on March 12, 2016, 08:32:45 AM
Quote from: David on March 11, 2016, 01:09:07 PM

But that's actually only half of the DS Ace Attorney games. Apollo Justice and both Ace Attorney Investigations games are good too and haven't yet been ported anywhere else.

yeah i was talking about these ones intended for the ds not the gba ports lol :(

bluaki

Quote from: David on March 12, 2016, 11:32:26 AM
yeah i was talking about these ones intended for the ds not the gba ports lol :(
Why don't you have a regular DS?

Like you said, DS games look a lot worse on the 3DS family than they do on DS family.

Out of the three AA games that are still DS-exclusive, Ace Attorney Investigations 2 in particular isn't even obtainable legitimately in English. There's a complete fan translation, but you really can't play that without running the ROM through either an emulator or a flashcart.

ME##

Quote from: bluaki on March 12, 2016, 01:25:11 PM
Quote from: David on March 12, 2016, 11:32:26 AM
Why don't you have a regular DS?

Like you said, DS games look a lot worse on the 3DS family than they do on DS family.

Out of the three AA games that are still DS-exclusive, Ace Attorney Investigations 2 in particular isn't even obtainable legitimately in English. There's a complete fan translation, but you really can't play that without running the ROM through either an emulator or a flashcart.
i never had a ds lmao gonk;

and getting one now seems beyond silly :(

Go Up