March 28, 2024, 04:25:07 PM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

BOYAH GUTS THREAD: R8 'N' B8

Started by ME##, December 20, 2014, 10:24:32 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Snowy on August 22, 2017, 06:18:02 PM
It's a GTX 980. At the time it was top of the line. I'm gonna wait for the 11xx's to come out before I make a decision on what to upgrade to.

a sound decision

my gpu came out in 2015 and i've been tempted to upgrade to a 1080i, but on the other hand, it's only a bottleneck in a handful of games and the 11xx series is probably less than a year away >.<

Kalahari Inkantation

lol

though unless they run into manufacturing or supply issues, i would be surprised if volta came out as late as next holiday season

pascal came in early summer 2016

Kalahari Inkantation

good god myface;

why are those 128gb ssds so expensive, you should be able to find ~240gb ones for those prices

also you could probably find 3200mhz ram for around that price, and for ryzen you really do want the fastest ram you can afford

ME##

Kalahari Inkantation

v. nice

v. jealous

my cpu and gpu sure are getting long in the tooth >.<

Kalahari Inkantation

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Snowy on June 09, 2018, 08:53:26 PM
what cpu do you have again? Ryzen 2xxx are getting stellar reviews rn, and GPUs on the secondhand market are dropping like a stone. I thinka  1080 these days are... about $400? I plan on picking up a 2nd 1080 and a SLI bridge for funsies.

i5 6500, which in retrospect was a poor choice even when i bought it

i should have gone for at least the 6600k, that would have probably kept me comfortable for significantly longer

oh well i've learned my lesson: never take advice from [glow=black,2,300]r*ddit[/glow] ugly;

it doesn't really make sense for me to upgrade to anything right now though because gaming performance on the ryzen side isn't nearly $400 (cpu + mobo) better than what the 6500 offers, and on the intel side, i would be crazy to """upgrade""" from a 14nm cpu to another 14nm cpu lol

i'll wait for intel's 10nm cannon lake to FINALLY arrive in 2019 (assuming they don't delay again) before i seriously consider a cpu upgrade

on the gpu side, i have a fury, and really its biggest limitation is the 4gb of vram

though again, upgrading now seems silly because pascal is so old and gpu prices so absurd and nothing short of a 1080ti would make any sense as an upgrade from a fury

so i'll just be patient and wait4volta

but it means i'll be stuck on this build for at least another year before i make any significant changes to it

[spoiler]

but honestly i play so few cutting-edge games at launch that i hardly even feel its limitations lol

in truth, i'm just a consumerist whore :'([/spoiler]

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Snowy on June 15, 2018, 10:20:07 PM
Oh you have a fury? That's the one with the little watercooler right? That card is super great. I probably would have gotten one if it have more ram honestly.

the fury x is the one with the water cooler, the standard fury is just beneath the x in performance and uses traditional fan-based cooling lol

honestly it's a mostly adequate card for my needs, but the 4gb of ram really does bottleneck it sometimes

what was amd thinking

if it'd had even 6gb it'd have much greater longevity

C.Mongler

one day i will post my rebuild in this thread

Kalahari Inkantation

It's hard to believe my own is now over 3 years old. SocksDood;

i'd say it's about time for an upgrade, but gpu prices right now are absolute arse and while cpu options are better they're still not quite good enough to justify the cost of a new motherboard

guess i'll just wait for the ddr5 era.................

C.Mongler

oh i actually did a rebuild like 3 months ago

i just need to take a pic and post lol

Kalahari Inkantation

C.Mongler

new case with tempered glass
a ryzen 2700
liquid cooler
32bg of ram

beyond that, actually managed my cable this time around so it looks nice lol

i did this in prep to grab a new GPU this upcoming year, however AMD's GPU showing this year was kinda meh, and the NVIDIA Super line is pretty underwhelming from the rumors thus far. But maybe if Super pushes the 20XX line's price down a bit, MAYBE, but probs waiting til 2020 now on that lol.

6M69I69B9

my budget build just to play one game decently lmao
https://i.imgur.com/V6NceVs.jpg

i want an i5-9400 or close and an rx580 8gb
but i just cant atm
rip
Quote from: Travis on April 03, 2015, 10:52:52 PM
gotta eat the booty like groceries

Quote from: Travis on March 01, 2018, 08:44:39 PM
Quote from: reefer on March 01, 2018, 06:15:08 PM
Technology and globalism go hand and hand. If you want to be on the forefront of technology then you gotta be global

the earth is flat you globecuck

Go Up