April 19, 2024, 07:40:57 PM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Satellites.

Started by reeper, June 19, 2013, 12:15:12 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

reeper

Hi, you might not know that I'm currently working on some cube satellites. We just had our near orbit test launch but the NASA rocket's parachute got tangled. Most of the cube sats on the rocket got crushed on impact, ours survived. I'm doing some of the electronics so ask me questions (only can answer so much though, we're under ITAR).

Snowy

What exactly is a cube satellite?

snoorkel

what is the maximum throughput potential from gravitational vortices, in gigawatts

also do you go to cal poly

ME##

do you think science will ever be ready for a cubic light year of nutella to be made

reeper

June 21, 2013, 12:31:52 AM #4 Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 12:37:21 AM by reefer
Quote from: Snowy on June 19, 2013, 09:14:27 AM
What exactly is a cube satellite?
A cube sat is 10 cm x 10 cm x 10 cm sized satellite that weighs under 1.33 kg. They were first developed by Cal Poly SLO, CA and Stanford a little over 10 years ago.

Ours are launched on NASA rockets as almost just ballast weights. Pics in the following link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CubeSat

Quote from: lifetrneds on June 19, 2013, 09:15:56 AM
what is the maximum throughput potential from gravitational vortices, in gigawatts

also do you go to cal poly

That sounds like either a fake question or an Aerospace Engineering question. I actually don't know any of the Aeros plus it's summer so not many peps are on campus. Also gigawatts is an electrical unit of measurement, seems like you're pulling my butt.

Yes, in SLO not Pamona

Quote from: David on June 19, 2013, 11:35:50 AM
do you think science will ever be ready for a cubic light year of nutella to be made

I have never eaten that substance. I hear it is good.

Snowy

Oh wow that's really cool. What's the satellite for?

reeper

Quote from: Snowy on June 21, 2013, 05:20:04 PM
Oh wow that's really cool. What's the satellite for?
Well we're building 4 currently, with some projects that are set aside too. LOTS of details here.

http://polysat.calpoly.edu/in-development/

CP7: Particle Damper Experiment
IPEX (CP8): JPL Autonomous Image Processing
CP9: P-POD launch environment telemetry study, which means we're getting data on launch, the first time a cubesat has been ON during launch since there are VERY strict guidelines NASA makes us follow
Exocube (CP10): Energy Dissipation Experiment, also weather sat

Daddy

Could you laser etch an image of doodthing onto one of the side panels of the satellite and launch it into orbit?

reeper

Quote from: Khadafi on June 22, 2013, 01:26:20 PM
Could you laser etch an image of doodthing onto one of the side panels of the satellite and launch it into orbit?
I will see what I can do, it's quite a hard thing to sneak into designs.

reeper

In the coming week I'll be posting pictures of the travel case I built with someone else. Stay tuned.

Go Up