Rest in Peas, MSN/Windows Live Messenger

Started by [hedy]Zidone, April 08, 2013, 01:44:31 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

[hedy]Zidone

macrosoft is retiring it across the world this month (except mainland china), starting today with anglophone countries, and pushing people onto skype

It's not like anyone in the English-speaking corner of the Internet actually used it anymore, but it's still weirdly sad to see it go. I haven't actually used it in almost half a decade, but I still kept it on Pidgin for the purpose of talking to an old friend (who I can talk to over Steam anyway lol).

[spoiler=romble]I went through the whole migrate-over-to-Skype thing and decided not to merge it with my regular account. My friend did this too, and I just had him add my regular Skype name instead. Doing this hasn't affected my ability to use MSN through Pidgin, which I guess is because they haven't started shutting it down yet. Once they do, I don't see much of a point in logging into the Skypified account. Literally everyone else I had added had stopped using it, including the Boyagers. I still use the e-mail associated with it, occasionally. It seems like a lot of people in non-Anglophone countries still use it, so I wonder how pissed they'll be about this change. Obviously I don't really give a shit, but it feels a bit like an end of an era for me. I don't really care for Skype as an IM client, but I guess it doesn't matter as much as I think it does.[/spoiler]

On the other hand, I still do use AIM (though not as much in recent months) and its death is inevitable as well. That will be a truly sad day. akudood;

silvertone

they better not get Rid of AIM deaerr ghofd

snoorkel

bluaki

MSN was my least-used IM protocol anyways

most people here seem to use AIM for everything instead
though as a protocol I think I might like MSN a bit more than AIM
and Google Talk much more than either

[hedy]Zidone

a week later, and it seems like they haven't even begun the migration/shutdown process lol philip;

silvertone

Go Up