March 28, 2024, 11:40:09 AM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

T-Mobile changes

Started by bluaki, April 05, 2013, 05:07:11 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

bluaki

April 05, 2013, 05:07:11 PM Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 05:25:07 PM by bluaki
Like a week or two ago, T-Mobile switched to a simpler plan system, which gives lower prices, kills contracts, replaces phone subsidization with the option to spread out phones' purchase price across 24 months, gives all plans unlimited voice+text, and offers a real unlimited data option. My family is saving $40/month after switching to the new plan.

They're also in the process of deploying LTE service across the US; until now, their 4G has been just HSPA+. Not many current T-Mobile phones (including Nexuses) support LTE.

In about a week from now, T-Mobile is also getting their own iPhone, being the last major carrier to get it. They're only getting iPhone 5, with their version supporting both HSPA+ and LTE. Previous versions of iPhone originally intended for AT&T have always, once unlocked, been able to work on T-Mobile with pathetic 2G speeds, while owners of an iPhone 5 not bought from T-Mobile can now use T-Mobile with LTE only.

T-Mobile's iPhone is unlocked-only and priced at $580, which can be $100 up-front plus $20/month. This is significantly less than the $650 price off-contract everywhere else (Apple store or other carriers)

I'm no fan of Apple products, but maybe this will significantly raise T-Mobile's popularity, improve LTE demand, and maybe encourage more network-independence in future phones.

bluaki

~$600 is quite a lot. Are most other high-end smartphones really that expensive? confuseddood;

ME##

Quote from: bluaki on April 05, 2013, 05:07:11 PM
They're also in the process of deploying LTE service across the US; until now, their 4G has been just HSPA+. Not many current T-Mobile phones (including Nexuses) support LTE.

i wonder how slow this roll out will be?  we only get lte from verizon from the 'big' carriers still, but us cellular's is supposedly better here. goowan
Quote from: bluaki on April 05, 2013, 05:16:57 PM
~$600 is quite a lot. Are most other high-end smartphones really that expensive? confuseddood;
the carrier subsidy model allows them to tag ridiculous prices on phones.  whatever google is/was selling the nexus 4 at is probably a better indication of how much they should be

bluaki

Quote from: Dovydas on April 05, 2013, 05:28:20 PM
the carrier subsidy model allows them to tag ridiculous prices on phones.  whatever google is/was selling the nexus 4 at is probably a better indication of how much they should be
I'm hoping these T-Mobile changes will lead to some phones actually competing for price.

Nexus 4 is $300 for 8GB storage or $350 for 16GB. Google's upcoming X Phone is rumored to cost $200.

Even with subsidization, iPhone 5 is (on other carriers) $200/$300/$400 upfront for 16/32/64GB options. T-Mobile prices are exactly $100 less for all options.
The carrier subsidy model still doesn't stop them from presenting the customer with a $400 price tag.

ncba93ivyase

i'm stuck with t-mobile and god they're awful

1: you get zero service outside of major cities
2: if you walk inside any building anywhere, you get zero service

it's terrible

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

bluaki

Quote from: Pancake Persona on April 07, 2013, 01:51:29 AM

it's terrible
I use t-mobile with neither of these problems confuseddood;

In my usual trip from my home in tampa, through orlando, to my university in melbourne (atlantic coast), I never lose signal, despite driving through a few barren farmlands.
I lose signal almost the instant I enter an elevator, but otherwise haven't seen any problems indoors.

Maybe LTE rollout might fix something

silvertone

it's terrible
that is why i switched......

snoorkel

Quote from: bluaki on April 05, 2013, 05:16:57 PM

i think most of HTC's nicer phones are upwards of $500 unlocked

sounds like good ideas for t-mobile but i'll give them a few years to develop LTE coverage before even thinking about switching  gimpdood;

it's terrible

gf has the t-mobile and same thing happens gimpdood;

verizon like iron bunker of telecommunication

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: bluaki on April 07, 2013, 10:09:00 AM
I use t-mobile with neither of these problems confuseddood;

In my usual trip from my home in tampa, through orlando, to my university in melbourne (atlantic coast), I never lose signal, despite driving through a few barren farmlands.
I lose signal almost the instant I enter an elevator, but otherwise haven't seen any problems indoors.

Maybe LTE rollout might fix something
you also live in florida which is basically the flattest land in america and there isn't any room for interference outdoors

and maybe buildings in pa have thicker walls for insulation or something

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

bluaki

Quote from: Comfortdog on April 08, 2013, 03:14:00 PM
gf has the t-mobile and same thing happens gimpdood;

verizon like iron bunker of telecommunication
wouldn't a shared plan on one carrier be cheaper?

snoorkel

Quote from: bluaki on April 09, 2013, 06:11:32 PM
wouldn't a shared plan on one carrier be cheaper?

we're slowly moving in that direction  n_u

Hiro

smartphones should cost $400 unlocked contract free etc, 100 with contract, $30/mo for 15GB data after which it's only throttled
everything should use data, calls texts etc
also free granola bars and juice

squirrelfriend

Quote from: ŹœiroŅˆ on April 14, 2013, 03:03:10 AM
also free granola bars and juice
tfw t-mobile is actually taking this idea but with like free jamba juice and pizza

Go Up