April 16, 2024, 05:12:38 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Started by Snowy, October 12, 2012, 07:56:41 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Snowy

October 12, 2012, 07:56:41 AM Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 03:10:28 PM by Snowy

snoorkel

ME##

Daddy

bluaki

0.7GB really isn't that much compared to the claimed minimum requirement for Windows. Besides purging OEM bloatware and startup programs (and possibly killing certain services and drivers you don't need at the time), there's not really any fancy way to reduce Windows's memory usage. Also, the memory consumption number may include file caches which are much better to have than unused memory and are automatically deallocated if a program requests more memory that otherwise isn't available.

Is 4GB really necessary for games? Though games do heavily use GPU/CPU power and video memory, I don't think most of them use very much main memory even at max settings.

Quote from: lifetrends on October 12, 2012, 11:09:41 AM
kill explorer.exe :|
When I used to use a computer which had both terrible specs and Windows as the main OS, I actually did this quite often to make certain things run better.

PLEASEHELP1991

I love [you]

Snowy

Quote from: lifetrends on October 12, 2012, 11:09:41 AM
kill explorer.exe :|
I think I've done that and disabled all IE services.
Quote from: bluaki on October 12, 2012, 06:56:09 PM
0.7GB really isn't that much compared to the claimed minimum requirement for Windows. Besides purging OEM bloatware and startup programs (and possibly killing certain services and drivers you don't need at the time), there's not really any fancy way to reduce Windows's memory usage. Also, the memory consumption number may include file caches which are much better to have than unused memory and are automatically deallocated if a program requests more memory that otherwise isn't available.

Is 4GB really necessary for games? Though games do heavily use GPU/CPU power and video memory, I don't think most of them use very much main memory even at max settings.
There are  a few games that struggle with 4gb of RAM. Saint's Row 3, Battlefield 3 (for obvious reasons), Skyrim (possibly due to mods), and sometimes Fallout 3/NV.

Go Up