April 18, 2024, 05:17:58 PM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

What is wrong with my network

Started by Selkie, August 20, 2012, 08:56:45 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Selkie

August 20, 2012, 08:56:45 AM Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 07:57:18 PM by Selkie
It happened again to my computer. It won't connect to the internet, when I click firewall settings it says due to an unidentified problem it can't be displayed. When I open network connections, there is just nothing there. And when I try system restore it says system restore is unable to protect your computer.

What do I do? Is there a way to like dump the whole comp so it returns to normal?

snoorkel

1. control panel > network > right click wireless interface > disable, then right click again and Diagnose/Repair Connection

unless you mean the network part of control panel shows no interfaces??

2. go to control panel > hardware > device manager, find the wireless card, and Check For Updates or click some other windowsy diagnostic things
3. run Windows Update. lol
3. Manually reinstall drivers for the wireless card (search google with the model name you found in Device Manager)

If you're desperate you could try totally reformatting/reinstalling the PC (with a windows install CD or USB), but at that point the wireless card is probably just dead. how old is the pc?

Daddy

Try to do a repair install of Windows 7.

Selkie

Ok Here's the current situation: I am able to use the internet on the laptop (I'm on it now). BUT,

On the bottom right of the control panel there is no wifi, or internet icon. When I go to Network Connections in the control panel, it is just a blank page...

When I click windows firewall setings, it says there is an unknown error. When I click basically any troubleshooting or whatever it says Help And Support cannot be opened because of an unknown error.

AND, System Restore also says, system restore cannot protect your computer.

Very confused....Also, the comp is just over 4 years old.

PLEASEHELP1991

I love [you]

snoorkel

Quote from: Selkie on August 21, 2012, 07:23:39 PM
Ok Here's the current situation: I am able to use the internet on the laptop (I'm on it now). BUT,

On the bottom right of the control panel there is no wifi, or internet icon. When I go to Network Connections in the control panel, it is just a blank page...

When I click windows firewall setings, it says there is an unknown error. When I click basically any troubleshooting or whatever it says Help And Support cannot be opened because of an unknown error.

AND, System Restore also says, system restore cannot protect your computer.

Very confused....Also, the comp is just over 4 years old.

something in the registry (or deeper) is fucked. the most efficient way to fix it will be to move your files off the computer (like to an external hard drive), then completely reinstall Windows with an install disc (choose the 'format disk' etc options). if that doesn't work it means the wireless card inside teh computer is totally gone and will probably not work again

alternatively you could try running the Repair utility off an install disc like jmv mentioned, if you can manage it.

Selkie

Ok since I am inept/lazy when it comes to doing anything more complex than system restore to fix a computer, I just got a new one lolol.

Toshiba, 400 bucks, can't go wrong. It will suit my needs just fine. At least until I am all out of school/grad school.

snoorkel

Go Up