April 23, 2024, 12:38:36 AM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Socrates Was A Troll

Started by kougraducky, January 16, 2012, 03:31:08 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

kougraducky

But I love him so dearly  lubdoods;
For my Humanities 1 class, we're reading Plato's Ion, and I can't help but notice that Socrates is really good at cornering people and raising them up by singing their praises, just to bring them falling down by cutting off the foundations of their arguments. I love it...he's amazing.
You'd think the Athenians would learn to stop talking to him if they wanted to not have their worlds' rocked, but nope. They always fall into his trap.

PLEASEHELP1991

Socratic definitions are whack. â€" Plato
I love [you]

kougraducky

Quote from: Edina Monsoon on January 16, 2012, 03:36:37 PM
Socratic definitions are whack. â€" Plato

But Plato wrote Socrates fanfic...Socrates never wrote anything down himself...Plato has a huge boner for Socrates.

Commander Fuckass

I have only read Gorgias for my Self and World Philosophy class and it fried my brain.
http://psnprofiles.com/TheMaysian][/URL]3DS Friend Code: 5086-5790-7151

YPrrrr

Quote from: kougraducky on January 16, 2012, 03:41:19 PM
But Plato wrote Socrates fanfic...Socrates never wrote anything down himself...Plato has a huge boner for Socrates.
Which is why I take everything he wrote with a large granule of salt girl;

kougraducky

Quote from: NPR on January 16, 2012, 06:03:26 PM
Which is why I take everything he wrote with a large granule of salt girl;

It's still fun.

silvertone

that sounds like Zhuangzi lol

YPrrrr

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Quote from: silvertone on January 16, 2012, 06:32:19 PM
that sounds like Zhuangzi lol

Yeah, but nobody talks about him because he was chinese and because Socrates is more easily referenced when you\'re talking philosphy-lite and the basis of rhetoric which most collegers slurp up in fundamental comm classes.

kougraducky

I like how I'm enough of a nerd to tie Star Wars in with Socrates. bassir;

snoorkel

socratic = fabricated pop cult response to pythagorean cult mysticism, known but obscured by platox, 2

he knew it:
[spoiler][img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8c/David_-_The_Death_of_Socrates.jpg/800px-David_-_The_Death_of_Socrates.jpg[/img]what exactly does this mean then[/spoiler]

socrates is a retelling, the idea of him is one half of the dialectic that the idealist completes
o crafty greeks.

Travis

Quote from: vziard on January 16, 2012, 09:58:47 PM
socratic = fabricated pop cult response to pythagorean cult mysticism, known but obscured by platox, 2

he knew it:
[spoiler][img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8c/David_-_The_Death_of_Socrates.jpg/800px-David_-_The_Death_of_Socrates.jpg[/img]what exactly does this mean then[/spoiler]

socrates is a retelling, the idea of him is one half of the dialectic that the idealist completes
o crafty greeks.
quoted for complete truth

Socks

I don't know, the grand sum of western philosophy was a civilization left in ruins at the end of WWII. In a sense they all failed, but the Eastern writings are now just being fulfilled.

me003

Quote from: kougraducky on January 16, 2012, 08:49:38 PM
I like how I'm enough of a nerd to tie Star Wars in with Socrates. bassir;
Oh god. I worked with people like you, this one guy could somehow tell redneck star wars jokes. I forgot what he said but it went, "you know you're a redneck when...." and ended in a star wars reference. He was in his mid 30's working at a pizza place, not many people liked him.
Quote from: reefer on November 29, 2007, 11:32:08 PM
No offense to her but she kinda doesn't know crap about shit

silvertone

Go Up