April 18, 2024, 05:25:46 PM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Windows says my STS 500 is failing. :(

Started by applesauce, January 02, 2012, 07:33:00 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

applesauce

Currently backing it up to my STS 2000.

ITT: Hard drive failures.

This is my first, assuming the drive *is* actually failing (I have yet to actually have a problem).

applesauce

Actually though the last couple days my computer has been inexplicably slow several times and crashed once, but it never occurred to me that it could be a hard disk problem. The drive windows thinks is failing is the drive that my OS and 90% of programs are installed on, so I guess that makes sense.

applesauce

Okay yeah the drive must be failing. Any time I load a new page it takes like 30 seconds and says "waiting for cache" down in the status bar.  >.<

I hope the backup finishes before it dies.

snoorkel

a few days ago an eight disk RAID6 array in one of my servers had 2 disks fail simultaneously, which there there are probably eight billion to one chances against happening. I was able to kill everything before serious fuckage happened and recovered most of the data, then spent about 20 straight hours manually restoring things from the partial backup... there were 3 client casualties but they didn't seem to care, fortunately there were not many people on the server at that point. now I have hardware monitoring tools installed and monitors monitoring the monitors  baddood;

bluaki

Quote from: vziard on January 03, 2012, 12:19:29 AM
a few days ago an eight disk RAID6 array in one of my servers had 2 disks fail simultaneously, which there there are probably eight billion to one chances against happening.
Actually, when disks are bought together (with consecutive serial numbers) then used together for all operations with RAID, there's a fairly good chance of this happening. Or so I've heard.

I haven't yet dealt with any in-use drive dying, but I've a couple times tried to use a drive I found in an old computer then found it was dead.

snoorkel

Quote from: bluaki on January 03, 2012, 01:07:06 AM
Actually, when disks are bought together (with consecutive serial numbers) then used together for all operations with RAID, there's a fairly good chance of this happening. Or so I've heard.

I haven't yet dealt with any in-use drive dying, but I've a couple times tried to use a drive I found in an old computer then found it was dead.

that's probably true, though I have no idea if the drives came from the same litter girl;

Daddy

applesauce

don't let's

applesauce

snoorkel

I hate hard disks

I hate RAID arrays of hard disks even more

Go Up