April 18, 2024, 02:31:37 PM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Do you code anything?

Started by snoorkel, December 11, 2011, 11:58:21 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

snoorkel

What programming/layout languages are you proficient in? Do you use any cool text editors?

I've been seeing lots of text editor (meaning source code editor) toplists saying it's the end of the age of editors like Coda and TextMate, but I'm like, "fuck that shit."

Coda is my stalwart coding buddy, it knows everything and doing code with lots of nesting like HTML would be hell without it (I also can't imagine coding without auto-suggest).   lubdoods;

Recently I've been picking up all the new HTML5 and CSS3 tricks, some of which make web design waayyyy easier... seems like the standards are finally catching up with what should have been possible 5 years ago (THE TOTAL AND COMPLETE DEATH OF TABLES!!!). I still know next to no JavaScript or other *real* programming languages, though I'd like to.

bluaki

The editor I'm using lately is Vim or, more accurately, gVim, which runs outside of the terminal for features like scrollbar, insertion mark, and spell check markings

I only have one major programming project I've ever made, but it's expansive enough that it could be considered several projects. All written in C, it's my IRC bot, which I call Zivoid, with features including:
[spoiler]
  • A scripting system of sorts available to all users based around manageable one-liners

• Obtaining search results from google, google images, youtube, wikipedia, and a weather service

• Evaluating mathematical expressions, a feature I plan to rewrite soon for all sorts of fancy stuff like arbitrary-precision values, lossless rational values, variables, function variables, non-base10 support, and maybe even differentiation. Currently it evaluates stuff like (sin(pi/2)^2+6)*4 perfectly fine (with a result of 28).

• and quite a few other, albeit simpler and less frequently-used, functions along with technical details like dynamic-loading modules

[/spoiler]

I don't really know any language besides C very well whatsoever. I'm using Java for my classes at school, but not for anything personal.

snoorkel

Quote from: bluaki on December 12, 2011, 12:15:57 AM
The editor I'm using lately is Vim or, more accurately, gVim, which runs outside of the terminal for features like scrollbar, insertion mark, and spell check markings

I only have one major programming project I've ever made, but it's expansive enough that it could be considered several projects. All written in C, it's my IRC bot, which I call Zivoid, with features including:
[spoiler]
  • A scripting system of sorts available to all users based around manageable one-liners

• Obtaining search results from google, google images, youtube, wikipedia, and a weather service

• Evaluating mathematical expressions, a feature I plan to rewrite soon for all sorts of fancy stuff like arbitrary-precision values, lossless rational values, variables, function variables, non-base10 support, and maybe even differentiation. Currently it evaluates stuff like (sin(pi/2)^2+6)*4 perfectly fine (with a result of 28).

• and quite a few other, albeit simpler and less frequently-used, functions along with technical details like dynamic-loading modules

[/spoiler]

I don't really know any language besides C very well whatsoever. I'm using Java for my classes at school, but not for anything personal.

That sounds very nice!

I've kind of said this before, but if you ever want to pursue other projects and need network/infrastructure resources to deploy on, or just need some cash, I'd be really happy to partner with you. We could probably think of all kinds of cool Web-based tools to develop. girl;

Also, Vim is cool, I use it when I'm forced to edit something server-side.

ncba93ivyase

I use Coda for everything relating to CSS, HTML, and Javascript.

I use Netbeans for Java because it's such a verbose language with so much shit in the library that I'd rather have the benefit of autocomplete than have to remember every little thing (do I use length, length(), or size()? ) and because I can just run it through the IDE instead of having to manually compile than run. I don't use Java outside of classes because it's shit.

Sublime Text 2 is my main text editor now, and I use it for R, Python, and C. The syntax highlighting is nice, the lack of bloat and the auto-resume upon starting up is nice.

Fraise is something I use when I need to do an extremely quick edit, like commenting out one or two lines. I use it because it launches just a bit faster than Sublime Text and because it doesn't reopen whatever I was last editing. It's a basic editor that gets the job done.

and vim is what i use when i'm editing something through ssh or need to quickly edit files rooted deeply in my system

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

snoorkel

silvertone

the only code i know is  Hammurabi

PLEASEHELP1991

I love [you]

silvertone

Quote from: Felt on December 27, 2011, 05:37:56 PM
have i done anything bad.
no, only because it endorses eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth

?????

vim or gedit

keep it simple stupid dawg