April 24, 2024, 09:40:02 AM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Would you ever have kids?

Started by snoorkel, October 24, 2011, 07:15:08 PM

previous topic - next topic

Thoughts

Definitely at some point
8 (33.3%)
Maybe
8 (33.3%)
Adopt / foster sure
2 (8.3%)
No, none, never
6 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Go Down

YPrrrr

Quote from: vziard on October 30, 2011, 11:09:18 PM
This is why I said, 'you completely missed every point we were trying to make,' because I think you took your unique judgement as it applied to what we were saying and threw it back at us as if that was all we were saying (I think this is what most people do whenever they say anything). Yet, you probably think you were arguing the neutral center, the outside perspective without any personal opinion involved, right?
What the... I think you are having some difficulty in reading what people are actually saying as evidenced by your response to Socks, Applesauce, and what appears to be Felt's mockery
Quote from: vziard on October 30, 2011, 11:09:18 PM
I believe vulpix was only 'offended' by Socks saying (in slightly different words), 'anything a woman can do is second in worth to the glorious gift that is her eggs'. Can't you see how that might be 'offensive' if you were a woman? Can't you see how that implies a very biased worldview dominated by the desires of one sex? It implies that the female's value is defined by her biology and nothing else (that's exactly what he said, everything else is second to biology), while the male's value is defined by his ability to find a good woman to fuck for progeny (and whatever else he wants to do). Is this making any sense????

No, not really. Socks would probably have the same opinion of childbirth even if it involved a large white bird delivering babies to doorsteps. I'm pretty sure it's more about the love between the partners and the baby which results. Vulpix and you are more than welcome to disagree with the sentiment behind that and cast it as overromanticized gobblety gook, but it's not offensive... One man's trash, etc. etc.

snoorkel

Quote from: NPR on October 31, 2011, 02:28:53 AM
What the... I think you are having some difficulty in reading what people are actually saying as evidenced by your response to Socks, Applesauce, and what appears to be Felt's mockery

and you don't understand the possibility that something more complex (or totally opposite) in meaning is being said than what's plainly written, except where it's obvious, I guess. cf. sarcasm

Quote from: NPR on October 31, 2011, 02:28:53 AM
No, not really. Socks would probably have the same opinion of childbirth even if it involved a large white bird delivering babies to doorsteps. I'm pretty sure it's more about the love between the partners and the baby which results. Vulpix and you are more than welcome to disagree with the sentiment behind that and cast it as overromanticized gobblety gook, but it's not offensive... One man's trash, etc. etc.

ok, you're still not understanding where we differ in opinion, you're framing me as the perpetrator of some ethical crime that I never even mentioned. I don't have anything to say because what you're not talking about what I'm talking about

Quote from: Molotov Emir 1986 on October 31, 2011, 01:39:05 AM
I can't properly multituote your message from my phone, and I'm not getting out of bed to do it, so:

1st p: Yeah okay but no one gives a shit about what he literally said. I think everyone except you interpreted it the way YPR and I did. Like I said, Socks was just being Socks and I think he did a good job of infusing what he said with emotion and capturing the feeling of love and beauty involved.

2nd p: I personally get more fulfillment out of sharing with and taking care of those I love than anything else I've yet experienced. I imagine parenthood to be like that x200.

3rd p: I don't know-- maybe it's instinct and such, but I would very much like to have biological children. If in 5-10 years it is affordable to garuntee that I don't pass the dominant tbs gene to my children, I will have biological children. If it's not, I'm not sure whether I will or not.

It's great that you want to raise kids, I think everyone should. I have been trying to discuss the act of reproduction and how the mindset that each individual must create their own offspring could affect the world, not anyone's unique right to love and care for other people... I may be an ultraliberal feminist hippie rebel dreamer without a cause, but I can still love! Bim!! Bim!! Bim!! Bim!

YPrrrr

Quote from: vziard on October 31, 2011, 02:59:38 AM
and you don't understand the possibility that something more complex (or totally opposite) in meaning is being said than what's plainly written, except where it's obvious, I guess. cf. sarcasm

ok, you're still not understanding where we differ in opinion, you're framing me as the perpetrator of some ethical crime that I never even mentioned. I don't have anything to say because what you're not talking about what I'm talking about
Perhaps because sarcasm doesn't translate well to text

I am talking about the defamation of Socks' character. I understand why we differ in opinion. It's because you see something that isn't there.

Thyme

I want this thread to bear my child.

Hiro

Quote from: Snowy on October 31, 2011, 07:01:02 AM
[spoiler][/spoiler] confuseddood;
as funny as that was you're also horribly wrong on word usage here snowy
the alternative would be to strip thyme's child naked.

applesauce

Quote from: vziard on October 31, 2011, 02:59:38 AMthe mindset that each individual must create their own offspring

Nobody ever supported this idea. This isn't what he said. No one on Boyah, and very few people in general, support this.

hobbit

Quote from: NPR on October 28, 2011, 08:03:17 PM
The US doesn't have large increases in population befuddlement

Neither does Russia or China even. It's the smaller and poorer countries having large increases.Other people can have opinions too.

just because our birthrate is going down that doesn't mean we're getting smaller. people are living longer and there are more immigrants and even if the birthrate is getting lower we're still making more people than there are people dieing. our population is going to continue to go up. words like 'large' and 'small' i guess are relative but i consider gaining a million plus people a year to be a large increase.

vulpix

Socks said that biologicaly being able to carry & birth a child is the single greatest thing. From a woman's point of view, that's defining me by my eggs, because it's saying anything else I do will never be as great as physically bringing a child into this world.  that's all we were talking about.

we were never denying the fulfillment you get from raising a child.

I understand how, from a guy's point of view, the idea that "women hold the greatest gift of bearing children" might seem romantic or chivalrous, but it's not.  from the point of view of a woman, it's offensive.

snoorkel

Quote from: vulpix on October 31, 2011, 03:45:14 PM
Socks said that biologicaly being able to carry & birth a child is the single greatest thing. From a woman's point of view, that's defining me by my eggs, because it's saying anything else I do will never be as great as physically bringing a child into this world.  that's all we were talking about.

we were never denying the fulfillment you get from raising a child.

I understand how, from a guy's point of view, the idea that "women hold the greatest gift of bearing children" might seem romantic or chivalrous, but it's not.  from the point of view of a woman, it's offensive.

how could you possibly think that's offensive. socks was just playing with words, it's what he does.  goddammit. this isn't a subject you have the right to express an opinion about... that's just YOUR opinion, not the opinion of ALL WOMEN. I know how women think. They WANT to have children! Bim! Why are you being such a fucking 'rebellious' woman, what's your point? Sure you can say this stuff but one man's treasure, etc. You seem to think you represent the whole female sex, clearly you don't, especially compared to me... god you're obnoxious, just shut the fuck up and have my children.

Nyerp

bracing for another boyah break-up :D

Travis

YPrrrr

Quote from: vziard on October 31, 2011, 05:47:49 PM
how could you possibly think that's offensive. socks was just playing with words, it's what he does.  goddammit. this isn't a subject you have the right to express an opinion about... that's just YOUR opinion, not the opinion of ALL WOMEN. I know how women think. They WANT to have children! Bim! Bim! Bim! Why are you being such a fucking 'rebellious' woman, what's your point? Sure you can say this stuff but one man's treasure, etc. You seem to think you represent the whole female sex, clearly you don't, especially compared to me... god you're obnoxious, just shut the fuck up and have my children.
Right, 0 women want kids. None. Despite the fact that 4/5 of women in the US have kids by age 40, none of them wanted children. Rape runs rampant. A travesty of our time.

And Socks, as a man, clearly speaks for all mankind as Vulpix does for women. His opinion on childbirth is universal amongst us. So I guess you're kind of a chauvinist too huh?

applesauce

Quote from: vulpix on October 31, 2011, 03:45:14 PM
from the point of view of a woman, it's offensive.

A woman. Not all by any means. Your opinion is not any more valid than mine or anyone else's.

Quote from: vziard on October 31, 2011, 05:47:49 PM
how could you possibly think that's offensive. socks was just playing with words, it's what he does.  goddammit. this isn't a subject you have the right to express an opinion about... that's just YOUR opinion, not the opinion of ALL WOMEN. I know how women think. They WANT to have children! Bim! Bim! Bim! Why are you being such a fucking 'rebellious' woman, what's your point? Sure you can say this stuff but one man's treasure, etc. You seem to think you represent the whole female sex, clearly you don't, especially compared to me... god you're obnoxious, just shut the fuck up and have my children.

The fuck is your problem? You are such a jackass.

piano moths

I think that maybe someday I might have kids, but I also might not. And maybe I might adopt. I really can't say. But at this point I currently haven't heard of anything humans can do quite as awesome as growing another human inside themselves.
kill them w kindness

snoorkel

Quote from: Molotov Emir 1986 on October 31, 2011, 06:58:33 PM
A woman. Not all by any means. Your opinion is not any more valid than mine or anyone else's.

The fuck is your problem? You are such a jackass.

[move][/move]

Go Up