April 20, 2024, 08:30:42 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

how nice is your computer

Started by snoorkel, October 14, 2011, 12:20:29 AM

previous topic - next topic

rd8912fh

right bitchin
3 (12%)
nicer than needed
2 (8%)
p. dec
11 (44%)
mediocre
6 (24%)
severely in need of upgrade
1 (4%)
fucking awful
2 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Go Down

snoorkel

mine is pretty nice, but only p. dec for me, 6gb ram is no longer nearly enough (collecting tabs addict :'(). I also want one dem x79 boards + socket 2011 CPUs as soon as they're out even though this is completely unnecessary  n_n

Hiro

Nice in that it's a year & a half old and it was the nicest netbook I could find at the time.
I also just recently got a 1TB external hard drive which helps a lot, and I have it connected to an external monitor. It usually works pretty well for me, unless I have a ton of things running (100+ tabs open, chat, notes, music, word, along with f.lux always running) so sometimes it can get pretty fucking awful. It never crashes, although chrome will crash from time to time. I can run the original Portal on it, but at a poor frame rate and anything above that won't happen. The Google+ hangouts we do are incredibly laggy, but livestream usually works alright (as long as I'm not the one streaming dear god)
I just recently upgraded to Win7 Home Premium from Starter Edition, so that's pretty cool.
It has a 1.7ghz amd athlon II neo processor, 2gb ram, and some kind of ati netbook graphics.
I obviously want something better (which would be easy nowadays, I almost forgot how nice computers can get now) but this works fine for the most part.

snoorkel

comparison to show how ridiculous safari's window caching is

chrome - 26 tabs, 180mb ram
safari - 97 tabs, 1.5gb ram 

the first time I type something in the google search bar in the morning usually freezes safari for 5-10 minutes. doodhuh; RAM MOAR

FAMY2

awful awful awful. I'm using a borrowed laptop right now. Mine has a dual core processor and 3 gbs of ram.
The video card is a Nvidia 7900 or something and is ok for some computer games. Considering i got it when dual cores first came out I guess it's had a good life.

Still have the flashing screen problem.  cry;

bluaki

I just built it myself earlier this year, but it's just decent: Athlon II X2, Radeon 4200 (integrated), 8GB RAM, and a lot of accessories unrelated to power. I built it with price as the main priority, using less than $300 total, but it can handle all non-gaming tasks I've attempted with it perfectly. Games aren't a big problem, either, but it's not like I can play with high settings.

Before I built this, the best I could use was a computer that couldn't handle the most basic things goowan

don't let's

My desktop is an eMachines T5020 with 4gb ram which is alright but a little dated now and has XP on it. And my laptop is an HP G71-340US with 4gb ram and it's pretty good and it has Windows 7.

applesauce

mine is pretty fucking good. not ridiculously good, but far and away the best computer I've ever had and better than I need.

i7 2600k, with a corsair h-80 liquid cooler, overclocked to 4.6ghz
8gb 1600mhz ddr3 ram
nvidia 550ti, with a slight factory overclock
500gb 7200rpm sataii OS drive
250gb 7200rpm sataii data drive
2tb 5900rpm sataii data drive

plus other things of course that don't have much of an effect on daily performance

Thyme

the integrated graphics card is shit but the rest is p. nice

6 GB of RAM, 582 GB HDD, AMD Phenom 8450 Triple Core Processor

bought it two years ago

ikanaide

Cookie

Yeah I just built mine in April, so I would say it's alright, nothing incredible but suits my needs.

AMD Phenom II
8GBs RAM
4TB of harddrive
Onboard graphics.  >_<' I know, I know.

silvertone

PC: Don't know the password so it is Worthless.
Mac: does what I need, but if it doesn't Run Video games well

LCK

My only computer right now is my 2008 Macbook Pro

But I did just purchase a few parts to throw together a simple HTPC
I got a cheap 1156 board, found and i3 for cheap on another forum I go to, 8 GB of DDR3 RAM with pretty decent latency, and a nice, reliable 500 Watt Apevia power supply. The rest I already have.
Although I might buy a nifty little HTPC case. I would love to build my own case but I simply don't have the time or resources while living here.

Nate

Quote from: FAMY2 on October 14, 2011, 04:40:24 AM
awful awful awful. I'm using a borrowed laptop right now. Mine has a dual core processor and 3 gbs of ram.
The video card is a Nvidia 7900 or something and is ok for some computer games. Considering i got it when dual cores first came out I guess it's had a good life.

Still have the flashing screen problem.  cry;

When I'm done with my computer in a couple of months you can have it. n_u

Mine's pretty decent, Core i5 2500k OC'd to 4 GHz and 8 gigs of ram

Mondegreen

It's decent for a laptop. Graphics card kind of sucks (GeForce GT 230M) and my processor is slow (2.27Ghz, Intel i5 Core) but I don't have many problems with it.

Clara Listensprechen

I just picked up a nice antique iMac (Bondi Blue RevB, which means souped up video processing for that era) for a nice price and I'm finding that it also parts out nicely too. Gonna replace the memory battery in it and do a local network with my antique Win 98 machines just to check out that famous iMac cross-platform capability.
Hmph.

Go Up