April 23, 2024, 05:03:57 PM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

why does everyone jizz over groupon

Started by snoorkel, August 17, 2011, 04:37:55 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

snoorkel

I don't think I've ever seen a more obvious case of a bunch of speculators who know nothing about the internet and technology, yet pretend to, endorse something as the most amazing incredible thing, when it's really just average.

groupon barely makes money, has no development plan, and does not even offer a unique service. worth billions?  akudood;

media like the WSJ makes it out like groupon is spearheading some kind of new 'silicon valley revolution' in web 2.0 and shit, the greatest fucking thing to grace the planet since Pets.com (lol this is what it will amount to). it's really just a shitty website that mostly only people who don't know about the internet or other things use

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

It's like the part of the newspaper you throw away has it's own website or whatever.

My sister is crazy about Groupon, she bought circus trapeze classes up there.

don't let's

August 18, 2011, 12:32:54 PM #2 Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 12:39:59 PM by Live?
Who doesn't like coupons and to pay less for stuff? And I guess this site caught on with the masses. Or maybe they paid for their advertisement. Who knows

snoorkel

I'm not against its purpose or existence as a website, my point is that for some reason it has received astronomically high valuations and is regarded as some sort of frontrunner of new internet expansion (see first post).

craigslist, I'd say, is far more valuable (it is the 10th most visited website, groupon is 57) and more robust (in terms of expected lifespan), but people don't follow its developments religiously and speculate it to be worth up to $30 billion.

don't let's

Well maybe because it looks new, shiny, and flashy. And that's what the masses generally like. So that's probably part of it. Yesterday was actually the first time I've been to that site so that's a first impression on it though.

Plus craigslist does have a somewhat dated and primitive design to it.

And I don't anything about either one from the business side so I really can't comment on anything there.

?????

I think it might have to with investors speculating in industries they don't know much about.
Die for Dethklok

snoorkel

Quote from: TheSequel on August 18, 2011, 08:35:35 PM
I think it might have to with investors speculating in industries they don't know much about.

right. but they really must be stupid, because it's not hard to do.

?????

Quote from: vziard on August 18, 2011, 08:45:08 PM
right. but they really must be stupid, because it's not hard to do.

In their defense, it's difficult to be knowledgeable in so many industries.
Die for Dethklok

applesauce

Yeah I don't get it either. I looked at it once last fall and was like dur so it's automatic coupons, big fucking deal. Idk, it brings venture capital dollars to Chicago. And they're even loop based.  :3

Daddy

Because I got two movie tickets for 8 bucks

i saved 16 dorrah

Go Up