April 24, 2024, 08:34:46 PM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

NETBOOK

Started by snoorkel, July 15, 2011, 03:49:22 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

snoorkel

I want netbook, I will need it for school and mobile server admin stuff in the fall. My plan is to install Debian or some Linux distro on it, and upgrade to a 30-40gb SSD -- this should make goes fast. why do they even put 5400rpm drives in netbooks?

Does anyone have one, or used one, that they really like? I've read mixed reviews on pretty much all of them, no brand seems clearly better... Acers are easier to get inside, EeePCs are easier to put Linux on, but also have some shitty hardware like ethernet limited to 10/100. I kind of want one that can have up to 4gb RAM, but 2 would be ok. I'm looking at 11-12.1" over 10.1.

This seems like my first choice at the moment: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220806 ...but maybe more expensive than is worth it?

Hiro

dual core, 2gb ram, decent res screen... I think that's a pretty good choice, go for it.

Daddy

What I would do is use one of your servers or your desktop to set up a VM with the interface running at the same resolution as the netbook.

Now you only have to worry about the netbook needing a fast enough network card, something that can run VNC with as little lag as possible and maybe enough specs to run the local stuff you may need when you're not online.

applesauce

We got my mom an eeepc with a 1.6ghz dual-core atom, nvidia ion, and I upped it to 2gb myself. Actually runs win7 perfectly with room to spare, which surprised me.

Hiro

Quote from: applesauce on July 16, 2011, 01:56:04 PM
We got my mom an eeepc with a 1.6ghz dual-core atom, nvidia ion, and I upped it to 2gb myself. Actually runs win7 perfectly with room to spare, which surprised me.
Yeah my netbook is a single-core, some sort of ati graphics, I upgraded it to 2gb, and it works pretty well for general use. I can play older games on it as well.
It does slow down sometimes, but the thing's over a year old now and it is still a netbook.
[spoiler]Also, it came with Win7 Starter on it smithicide; [/spoiler]

snoorkel

July 16, 2011, 10:29:12 PM #5 Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 10:34:21 PM by vziard
Quote from: Khadafi on July 16, 2011, 01:26:36 PM
What I would do is use one of your servers or your desktop to set up a VM with the interface running at the same resolution as the netbook.

Now you only have to worry about the netbook needing a fast enough network card, something that can run VNC with as little lag as possible and maybe enough specs to run the local stuff you may need when you're not online.

Yeah I was thinking of doing this, but despite being cool I don't think it would actually be that much more convenient (I want to run a GNOME/KDE desktop anyway)... what could I do besides keep Terminal windows open and running when the netbook is sleeping? I won't need to do anything really resource-intensive on this thing, i.e. that I'd need to run on a server.

but if I did that, with an LA host server and mobile 4G-turned-wifi from my phone, I'd be UNSTOPPABLE

also I want this one now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215129

applesauce

snoorkel

Just bought an Aspire One AO722-BZ848.

with Bill Me Later yes;

silvertone

Doesn't literature go in the Arts Discussion?

snoorkel

it's getting delivered today I'm so excited  giggle;

snoorkel

I tried to install Ubuntu Natty on this for like 3 hours and it wouldn't work, just froze every time wifi tried to connect. I ingeniously solved this by putting Atheros Network Boot first in the BIOS boot order (lol?). Now I have Kubuntu 11.04 all nice n skinned up.

Also Windows 7 jesus christ I'm glad I've used that for less than 5 minutes of my life.

Highly recommend this little laptop, for $380 it's a steal with a 11" screen and 4gb RAM  cjlubdoods;

Hiro

Quote from: vziard on July 22, 2011, 04:14:41 AM
4gb RAM  cjlubdoods;
O_0

But yeah, I used to have that same issue with installing Ubuntu. I finally got it to work, and used it for about a week, but I had more issues with it than I have Win7, so I went back.

snoorkel

Quote from: Hiro on July 22, 2011, 09:21:07 AM
O_0

But yeah, I used to have that same issue with installing Ubuntu. I finally got it to work, and used it for about a week, but I had more issues with it than I have Win7, so I went back.

11.04 has been perfect for me, I haven't even had to install any drivers. Camera, sleep/wake, Wifi (with the fix I mentioned), hardware monitors and everything works with a fresh install. YAY LINXU

If only I could disable the shrill BEEEP that it makes when I plug in the power  madood;

?????

Quote from: vziard on July 22, 2011, 03:16:34 PM
11.04 has been perfect for me, I haven't even had to install any drivers. Camera, sleep/wake, Wifi (with the fix I mentioned), hardware monitors and everything works with a fresh install. YAY LINXU

If only I could disable the shrill BEEEP that it makes when I plug in the power  madood;

You have to blacklist it.

Edit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist (root required, obviously) and add blacklist pc speaker.

Code Select
sudo "blacklist pcspkr" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

The system speaker will be disabled on your next reboot. if you don't want to wait:
Code Select
sudo rmmod pcspkr

This will mute the system beep entirely. It won't beep at all.
Die for Dethklok

snoorkel

Quote from: TheSequel on July 22, 2011, 09:48:52 PM
You have to blacklist it.

Edit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist (root required, obviously) and add blacklist pc speaker.

Code Select
sudo "blacklist pcspkr" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

The system speaker will be disabled on your next reboot. if you don't want to wait:
Code Select
sudo rmmod pcspkr

This will mute the system beep entirely. It won't beep at all.

Oh nice, didn't think of that. Thanks.

Go Up