March 28, 2024, 05:24:44 PM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Currently/just finished watching/reading anime/manga thread.

Started by Nyerp, June 09, 2011, 01:37:07 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

Quote from: Nyerp on February 10, 2012, 02:40:57 PM
what subs are you using for nisemonogatari

the only release that animesenshi is making avi encodes of: horriblesubs

supposedly commie's release is "better" but i'm not seeing any problems with HS's release

Samus Aran

i'm pretty addicted to FMA: Brotherhood right now

story-wise, it's honestly quite better than the original

Samus Aran

hnnngg god damn brotherhood is great, DEFINITELY better than the first series

just finished episode 42, everything's really coming together at this point

i'm really loving this show way more than i expected, i'll probably end up giving it a 9 when all is said and done

Commander Fuckass

Quote from: Kaz on February 16, 2012, 09:22:25 PM
hnnngg god damn brotherhood is great, DEFINITELY better than the first series

just finished episode 42, everything's really coming together at this point

i'm really loving this show way more than i expected, i'll probably end up giving it a 9 when all is said and done
THIS IS WHAT I'VE BEEN TELLING YOU SINCE FOREVER KAZ

GAWD
http://psnprofiles.com/TheMaysian][/URL]3DS Friend Code: 5086-5790-7151

don't let's

Samus Aran

Quote from: Dead End Moon on February 18, 2012, 11:00:06 AM
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=403955

haha oh wow

I wonder how that would work out?

I'm not surprised, they make live action versions of just about anything. Even Cromartie High School.

Nyerp

Quote from: Dead End Moon on February 18, 2012, 11:00:06 AM
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=403955

haha oh wow

I wonder how that would work out?

yeah i don't know how they're going to make the absolute worst fucking thing ever

bluaki

Just recently watched the Steins;Gate OVA

which happens to be my 200th completed entry on MAL

Nyerp

Quote from: bluaki on February 23, 2012, 10:08:11 PM
Just recently watched the Steins;Gate OVA

which happens to be my 200th completed entry on MAL

oh god what i've never heard of that

STREAM IT y/n

ME##

bluaki

Quote from: Nyerp on February 24, 2012, 05:15:45 AM
oh god what i've never heard of that

STREAM IT y/n
It was just released earlier this week with what I think was the last blu-ray
Sure. It's the same length as other episodes and a direct sequel rather than spin-off silliness. New content that wasn't in the VN, but it seems consistent with the original story.

Quote from: Dovydas on February 24, 2012, 05:44:57 AM
how many entries do you have, completed and not?  >.<
13 watching, 7 dropped, and 82 plan to watch

don't let's

Watched Kemono no Souja Erin last week and because Kaz was posting about FMA Brotherhood it reminded me to watch the last bit I had left to finish and I just got done with that.

It always feels a little bit sad when you finish a long anime, especially if you've really gotten into it.

Samus Aran

yeah, and finishing FMA: Brotherhood sure felt good :3

I guess I never did post my opinions on it here, so here goes. First off, let me say that I did very much enjoy the original 2003 series. But Brotherhood is simply better. The art style and animation is more consistent and more fluid, and of course, more "HD." The music isn't just forgettable background music anymore, although it doesn't have that many standout tracks. Production values are simply higher everywhere you look, even on its English dub, which is excellent and features many of the same voice actors from the 2003 series dub. Probably all of them, actually.

The biggest difference, though, is of course this show's story. This is a direct manga adaptation, while the original series had to come up with its own stuff, as it flew past the incomplete manga pretty quickly. So this is "the real" story, if you care about something like that. I don't, but regardless, the story is simply a lot better than it was in the 2003 one. In particular, the antagonist, Father, is a much more intimidating force behind everything than the lame old lady, Dante, from 2003. The new characters are all fantastic. It took me a while to warm up to the Briggs soldiers and their commander, but I did. Ling and Lan Fan are more or less immediately likable, though.

The homunculi have all been vastly improved story-wise as well, with Lust serving as a plot point that really makes Colonel Mustang stand out more as a character. Because he really needed the help - I felt that Mustang was simply not involved enough in the original series. Anyway, all the homunculi here are done right, although I have to admit that Pride is sort of...eh, whatever. Envy has been improved the most, given much more depth and, of course, given his "true form" that the original series did not use.

By the way, in 64 episodes, there's less filler (none, basically) than there was in the original series's 51 episodes. The pacing is excellent, every episode is pretty much packed with everything you could want, especially later in the series.

Oh, and no shitty movie to conclude the series! An actual ending!

Honestly the ONLY thing in Brotherhood that's "worse" than the original is that it's got some of those chibi comedy moments that weren't really in the old one, but they're few and far between and not particularly out of place. I suppose you could also knock Brotherhood a bit for not being quite as "dark," especially with Ed's character, as the 2003 one. On the other hand, I simply think it's got a better mix of emotions, so you can take your "darker" Ed and stuff it.

Never thought I'd be giving a shounen this score: 9/10.

Samus Aran

Quote from: Kefka on February 16, 2012, 10:13:06 PM
THIS IS WHAT I'VE BEEN TELLING YOU SINCE FOREVER KAZ

GAWD

i really don't think you told me much at all

you told me that you were following fma brotherhood. actually you worded it like "is it okay that i still follow fma brotherhood?" one night in stream. that's like literally all you ever said about the show.

don't let's

I did kind of like that FMA movie from what I remember, but I really hated how it ended everything though.

Go Up