April 18, 2024, 02:15:33 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Currently/just finished watching/reading anime/manga thread.

Started by Nyerp, June 09, 2011, 01:37:07 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

So I just finished Perfect Blue

Well, first of all, if you know Kon's work (Paprika, Millennium Actress, Paranoia Agent), you know to expect something very surreal. That's definitely there. But this movie is where the surreal element truly becomes frightening. This was honestly one of the creepiest animes that I have ever seen, if not the creepiest. It's also by far Kon's darkest work...if you thought Paranoia Agent was gloomy, well, this is worse by a longshot. There is also a great deal of nudity. So in general, this is by far Kon's most adult piece.

But goddamn it was a great movie. I liked it almost as much as Millennium Actress. I am still debating giving it a 10 instead of a 9. Beautifully animated, gripping and suspenseful, and full of that Kon surrealism that I love him for. This piece is definitely the closest of his movies to Paranoia Agent - I think that maybe he did Paranoia Agent because he wanted to do a story similar to Perfect Blue's...it's a hunch, anyway.

Great, great movie. Can't believe I put it off for so long.

Commander Fuckass

Starting Blood+ today.

It can't be that bad could it?

cnotedood;
http://psnprofiles.com/TheMaysian][/URL]3DS Friend Code: 5086-5790-7151

Samus Aran

Andria

Quote from: Kaz on July 23, 2011, 06:14:28 PM
it's not that bad

just kinda boring

That was my impression of it. It had a good premise and was well animated but it was just boring and couldn't keep my attention for very long.

Andria

Samus Aran

finished half of the chobits manga now

in addition, really trying to focus on catching up on "classics," so to speak, so i've largely committed myself to finishing Nadia now and starting Rurouni Kenshin, which i've started downloading the dub for

i just don't really like how Kenshin sounds like a woman in the original. it's irksome.

Nyerp

finished bakemononomatagaritarigabekakonogatabamono 8/10 thumbup;

Samus Aran

don't let's

Samus Aran

Nyerp

Samus Aran

Samus Aran

5 episodes into baccano now

goddamn this show is awesome and so fucking stylish and just always entertaining wrench;

Commander Fuckass

boyah should I watch Immortal Grand Prix y/n

i also might watch Eden of the East
http://psnprofiles.com/TheMaysian][/URL]3DS Friend Code: 5086-5790-7151

Samus Aran

7 episodes into Baccano, and it's obvious now that there is no possible way to give this series less than a 9 on MAL. And as long as things don't for some reason suddenly get worse, hell, I may end up giving it a 10 in the end. We'll see.

Go Up