Is it legal to pirate the Win7 Install discs?

Started by strongbad, June 30, 2010, 12:55:36 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

strongbad

I mean my laptop comes with the Win 7 product key on it, and I am planning on doing a clean install to get rid of all the shitware that comes with it and a weird partition, so I'm just curious if I'm entitled to doing so legally. I'll do it either way, I'm just curious.

spaceman

strongbad

Daddy

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2010/04/28/download-windows-7-iso-official-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-links/

You can download the ISOs directly from microsoft.

I'm not sure how the product key would work, of if you'd even need it since OEM activation works a bit differently.

strongbad

Quote from: Khadafi on June 30, 2010, 02:53:48 PM
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2010/04/28/download-windows-7-iso-official-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-links/

You can download the ISOs directly from microsoft.

I'm not sure how the product key would work, of if you'd even need it since OEM activation works a bit differently.

Oh I already downloaded it from demonoid lol

Volvagia

July 01, 2010, 07:39:07 AM #5 Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 07:45:19 AM by Volvagia
No, it's not illegal, as JMV said they provide the software directly from them, the content packaging of a retail purchase is so that the user is satisfied, what you're paying for, is the key. A genuine activation no-expiration date  key.

If your computer is a pre-built, it's most likely a single use key, which means Windows will be like DURR ACTIVATION LIMIT EXCEEDED when you go to try it again. You can get it activated again, but you need to phone the automated activation Microsoft Service line via phone.

Over the phone activation

* Go to Start
   * Click on Run
   * And type SLUI 05

From the drop down list select the name of the country you live in. This is important because depending on the country you select you will be assign a number to call.

* Click the nearest location > Wherever it is you are located (For myself, the United Kingdom, for you it will be United States.)
   * Click on Next

This window contains all the information you will need. Step 1 contains the number you need to call. Step 2 contains a series of unique numbers, you will need to provide the series of numbers to the operator (do not make mistakes). Step 3 If everything is Ok the operator will provide you with a confirmation ID, you will need to enter the numbers in the boxes located in Step 3 and press Enter.
The activation over the phone process is a simple one, try to use common sense when answering.

If the correct confirmation ID was provided you should be greeted with a new window confirming a genuine installation.

Go Up