I've discovered a major reason why I hate religion

Started by Selkie, June 02, 2010, 06:32:09 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Selkie

It is the idea that when man does something great, they give all the credit to god.

When you encounter a super religious person, they never give man, or themselves, any credit.

"I did great on that final, god helped me through it."
No, maybe it was your hard work and studying for hours before the test.

"My relative survived cancer. God was with us"
No, all the scientists, doctors, nurses, that devoted their life to medicine and worked tirelessly to help your relative saved her.

Its just frustrating.

In my religious view (at least that little bit that is still there), I believe that you need to give yourself some credit sometimes, and give man a lot too, because they are what in reality help you through the tough times. Though, I do think that it is sometimes necessary to thank some higher power. For example, in those life situations that no one has any control over, and you are finding then hard to get through. Like the situation with my grandmother right now, who has cancer and was taken off all treatment and pretty much is just riding it out now. I seem to find myself talking to empty space, no one, asking for her comfortable departure from life, and hoping that she will be somewhere happy after her death.

So yea, any views on this idea?

rdl

i think that's ridiculous. if a couple of docs save someone with cancer, and the patient is like "THANK YOU GOD OH IF IT WASNT FOR HIM ID BE DEAD RIGHT NOW", it's not like they're taking all the credit away from the hard working doctors. they're just throwing in a third guy whom some might argue doesn't exist.vand any doctor who is like "pssh it wasnt him it was me why dont i get any recognition" is, i dunno, crazy?

i just think that's sort of a dumb reason to hate religion. if you think it's illogical, then fine go hate on it. b

Daddy

I posted something about that before when FuuMastaPunk said something about God saving him from committing suicide.

I find the notion to be silly and both extremely arrogant and degrading.  There is an arrogance in assuming that a being has chosen to care about you, over every thing else in a 93+ billion light year universe(children dying from hunger? nah b. God is busy helping me win the super bowl dawg.).  Degrading because these people attribute every human and personal accomplishment to "God". The doctors just spent 12 hours operating on me to save my life? THANK THE LORD, fuck the doctors.
Quote from: FDR on June 02, 2010, 07:32:42 PM
i think that's ridiculous. if a couple of docs save someone with cancer, and the patient is like "THANK YOU GOD OH IF IT WASNT FOR HIM ID BE DEAD RIGHT NOW", it's not like they're taking all the credit away from the hard working doctors. they're just throwing in a third guy whom some might argue doesn't exist.vand any doctor who is like "pssh it wasnt him it was me why dont i get any recognition" is, i dunno, crazy?

i just think that's sort of a dumb reason to hate religion. if you think it's illogical, then fine go hate on it. b

How often do you see those PRAISE DA LORD people include the doctors in their thanks? I see it quite frequently and the actual entities responsible almost never get credit for it.

??????

Quote from: Khadafi on June 02, 2010, 07:48:18 PM
I posted something about that before when FuuMastaPunk said something about God saving him from committing suicide.

I find the notion to be silly and both extremely arrogant and degrading.  There is an arrogance in assuming that a being has chosen to care about you, over every thing else in a 93+ billion light year universe(children dying from hunger? nah b. God is busy helping me win the super bowl dawg.).  Degrading because these people attribute every human and personal accomplishment to "God". The doctors just spent 12 hours operating on me to save my life? THANK THE LORD, fuck the doctors. How often do you see those PRAISE DA LORD people include the doctors in their thanks? I see it quite frequently and the actual entities responsible almost never get credit for it.
I think it's rather silly to degrade one's perception of how they overcame the temptation of ending their life. The emotional weight and intense experiences of their relationship with God shouldn't be considered any less worthy than any other typical human experience. They give much more credit to God because of the experiences and interconnectedness that they and their God both share--something that modern doctors lack (Intrapersonal connections and emotional acknowledgment rarely happen in a clinical office)

YPrrrr

It's pretty much just rude to not thank someone for a service whether it's the guy behind the counter at McDonald's or the doctor who saved your life; Sounds more like an etiquette problem to me
Quote from: Khadafi on June 02, 2010, 07:48:18 PM

I think God may save you from suicide in that suicide is a one way ticket to hell at least within Christianity n_u

Daddy

Quote from: Analysis Paralysis on June 02, 2010, 07:59:15 PM
I think it's rather silly to degrade one's perception of how they overcame the temptation of ending their life. The emotional weight and intense experiences of their relationship with God shouldn't be considered any less worthy than any other typical human experience. They give much more credit to God because of the experiences and interconnectedness that they and their God both share--something that modern doctors lack (Intrapersonal connections and emotional acknowledgment rarely happen in a clinical office)
but there is no god.

there are doctors

even if you believe in god. you only have faith in god. you see the doctors. If god were the one doing the saving, why would you go to a doctor?
Quote from: YPR on June 02, 2010, 08:01:23 PMI think God may save you from suicide in that suicide is a one way ticket to hell at least within Christianity n_u
Good thing RDX is a muslim. 72 Virgins here we come n_u

??????

Quote from: Khadafi on June 02, 2010, 08:20:33 PM
but there is no god.

there are doctors

even if you believe in god. you only have faith in god. you see the doctors. If god were the one doing the saving, why would you go to a doctor? Good thing RDX is a muslim. 72 Virgins here we come n_u
oh silly you can't interrogate your beliefs into another  akudood;
also christian logic would be "because god provided the doctors there so i shall use them"

Daddy

wouldn't god provide the disease? why are they disregarding god's gift intended to bring them to heaven sooner?

??????

Quote from: Khadafi on June 02, 2010, 08:23:43 PM
wouldn't god provide the disease? why are they disregarding god's gift intended to bring them to heaven sooner?
I DUNNO LOL
i am not a christian   bassir;

Selkie

Quote from: Analysis Paralysis on June 02, 2010, 07:59:15 PM

I think that if someone didn't believe in a god or an afterlife, they would be less inclined to kill themself in the first place.

Obviously that probably doesn't apply to everyone, but it seems like a reasonable idea.

Plus, the beauty of understanding that science provides and the ability to know the truth about a big part of why you are here, and a desire to know more is definitely a good enough reason for me  to not kill myself.

Again, just my opinion

hotlikesauce.

I don't mind any of that, actually. I just don't like it when they show up on my doorstep or they're at some store or place trying to tell me about God. If I had any intention of learning about god, I'd go to church.

And when they bash people. Someone invited me to go to church so I went and for half of the time they spent preaching they were talking about how Japanese people were "stupid" and "had the dumbest ways of believing in high powers." They said "God is the only true god and it's our duty to tell these people why they're wrong."

And I was like "Uhhhh, what?"

YPrrrr

Quote from: Khadafi on June 02, 2010, 08:20:33 PM
Good thing RDX is a muslim. 72 Virgins here we come n_u
It's a sin in Islam too

"He who commits suicide by throttling shall keep on throttling himself in the Fire, and he who commits suicide by stabbing himself, he shall keep stabbing himself in the Fire."
Quote from: Selkie on June 02, 2010, 08:36:49 PM
I think that if someone didn't believe in a god or an afterlife, they would be less inclined to kill themself in the first place.

Most organized religions view suicide as a grave offense though. I think the thought of eternal damnation is worse than non-existance which would be seen by some as peace

Daddy

Quote from: FDR on June 02, 2010, 09:12:30 PM
i'll need more than that ;)
a mule and 40 acres

also the claim of eternal damnation is a bit too hyperbolic. Islam has a limited time in hell or whatever until the sins are paid off or something to that effect. christianity would only be until the return of christ

rdl

Actually you only get out of hell if you're a Muslim. Everyone else stays there forever, unless a Hafiz pulls them out or something. Or if they never hit puberty, then they go to Heaven.

YPrrrr

Quote from: Khadafi on June 02, 2010, 09:16:47 PM
also the claim of eternal damnation is a bit too hyperbolic. Islam has a limited time in hell or whatever until the sins are paid off or something to that effect. christianity would only be until the return of christ
Does a limited time in hell really seem that much more appealing

Go Up