March 28, 2024, 08:26:44 AM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

whats the harm?

Started by reeper, August 30, 2009, 03:41:41 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

Quote from: ø Lance * Corporal * Atlas ø on September 10, 2009, 08:16:43 PM
Because apparently the same people that bash religious figures for enforcing their beliefs simply can't do with somebody believing in or even acknowledging the possibility of a higher power.

Yeah, and that would be the general atmosphere here on Boyah. You can bash religion all you want, but if someone wants to believe in God, holy shit man, it's ON. I've never understood why certain users here can't just let the damn religion thing go and let people believe what they want.

Daddy

Quote from: Kaz on September 10, 2009, 08:20:06 PM
Yeah, and that would be the general atmosphere here on Boyah. You can bash religion all you want, but if someone wants to believe in God, holy shit man, it's ON. I've never understood why certain users here can't just let the damn religion thing go and let people believe what they want.
Let's see.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_8_(2008) ;  - Religion played a large role in preventing people from marrying someone they love

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_design - Creationism under a new name in attempt to pass it off as a "scientific theory" without any evidence: something required for a scientific theory.

http://www.armyofgod.com/ - Even though our media only considers it terrorism when Muslims are the attackers, these people are also terrorists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_11_attacks#Motive - I'll be fair, I mean look at today's date.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_Scouts_of_America - Yay discrimination.

http://www.soc.umn.edu/~hartmann/files/atheist%20as%20the%20other.pdf
http://atheism.about.com/od/atheistbigotryprejudice/a/AtheistSurveys.htm
More discrimination based on religious beliefs.

I can keep going if you want.

But really, fuck you if you think atheists should let the "damn religion thing go" when there's rampant discrimination by religious voters and organizations. There are the religious who have no fucking problem telling people they can't marry someone they love because "lol its gross god said so xDDD".  They are shooting fucking doctors and bragging about how it's the work of God. They bomb medical facilities. They work to violate the first amendment by forcing their beliefs into schools saying "lol science should teach alternate theories" when alternate theories involve things with evidence. They also wouldn't support teaching Hinduism, Islam, and any other religion among their baseless beliefs.

Really, fuck you if you think people should just let that discrimination, violence, and belligerence go because "lol they are free to believe and force those beliefs upon the populace".  As long as people are taking a scripture literally that states I should be killed and tortured indefinitely because I don't submit to their god I'm not going to "let it go". Oh, let's see who else their stories says needs to die and suffer and why:

-You and every other atheist here
-Hensa, Felt, PQQU, Skylark, Nyerp, Me86, Tyler, Bluaki, and any other LBGT members I may be forgetting solely on their sexual preferences.
-RDX for not being a chrishun

Glad you're defending something and saying it should "just be let go" when it preaches that both you and your girlfriend need to be stoned at the town's gates and suffer for eternity.  Maybe we can all let it go and see how safe we all are when someone decides to act upon that scripture ^____^ We'd all feel so safe.

Bolivian Army

and I for one say high five atheists for being more accepting than us discriminating dumbasses baddood;

Donate now to the Guff Is Great foundation. baddood;

Daddy

Quote from: Bolivian Army on September 11, 2009, 07:18:15 AM
and I for one say high five atheists for being more accepting than us discriminating dumbasses baddood;
I think you are a dumbass if you can't differentiate between hating religion and hating the religious.

Atheists generally don't hate the religious just their religion.  Of course there are bigots like Fred Phelps that personally get lambasted by atheists, but it should be obvious why that happens.*

So don't give that "lol atheists r biguts 2 they hate chrishins", no they hate the idiocy spewed by such.

*Atheists aren't an organized group and the only view they all hold in common is a lack of belief in any gods, but generally, with some exceptions they don't hate religious people.

Bolivian Army

September 11, 2009, 08:21:33 AM #19 Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 08:28:00 AM by Bolivian Army
Quote from: JMV on September 11, 2009, 07:29:33 AM
I think you are a dumbass if you can't differentiate between hating religion and hating the religious.

So don't give that "lol atheists r biguts 2 they hate chrishins", no they hate the idiocy spewed by such.

Only on the condition that you don't roll all religion up into one ball of idiocy. I'm sorry if I'm not supposed to have a problem with you putting my beliefs into the same pot as terrorists and Christians who fail to understand the concept of Christian Love, but I do.

If you want to slap a bunch of wiki links together to show religion in a harsh light, that's fine. But don't give me this "relishun iz bad bekuz a lot off bad stuff was dun in the name of regligeon so dont give me this leve u alon bulcrap i can do whate ey wan >:[ " bullshit.  baddood;

Daddy

Quote from: Bolivian Army on September 11, 2009, 08:21:33 AM
Only on the condition that you don't roll all religion up into one ball of idiocy.

But I do find the beliefs to all be idiotic.

QuoteI'm sorry if I'm not supposed to have a problem with you putting my beliefs into the same pot as terrorists and Christians who fail to understand the concept of Christian Love, but I do.
They follow the same religion, albeit under a different interpretation. Their actions are all provided with a basis in the book. The same book that preaches "love thy neighbor" etc, teaches to kill and slaughter those who don't submit to God.

They're the same religion.  Just because your interpretation doesn't state that violence is needed doesn't mean your book doesn't.  It just means that you don't follow your religion exactly as written; which is a good thing. Don't pretend the book doesn't say to kill your child if he disobeys you, to kill your family if they don't accept God, and kill plenty of others.

QuoteIf you want to slap a bunch of wiki links together to show religion in a harsh light, that's fine. But don't give me this "relishun iz bad bekuz a lot off bad stuff was dun in the name of regligeon so dont give me this leve u alon bulcrap i can do whate ey wan >:[ " bullshit.  baddood;
I was providing reasoning for why religion shouldn't be "left alone".

Bolivian Army

September 11, 2009, 09:16:32 AM #21 Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 10:06:15 AM by Bolivian Army
Quote from: JMV on September 11, 2009, 08:37:17 AM
But I do find the beliefs to all be idiotic.

They follow the same religion, albeit under a different interpretation. Their actions are all provided with a basis in the book. The same book that preaches "love thy neighbor" etc, teaches to kill and slaughter those who don't submit to God.

They're the same religion.  Just because your interpretation doesn't state that violence is needed doesn't mean your book doesn't.  It just means that you don't follow your religion exactly as written; which is a good thing. Don't pretend the book doesn't say to kill your child if he disobeys you, to kill your family if they don't accept God, and kill plenty of others.

No, they're actually the ones not following the word as written.

http://www.esvstudybible.org/search?q=Mattew+22+36-40

I'm pretty sure you're quoting the old testament, which is a history of God's people. It would be more accurate to say that my book teaches me how they punished people for disobeying God back in the day. In fact, it teaches me that I have no right to judge others in the New Testament.

I think it would do a lot of good for people to study the bible rather than misuse it as an excuse.

Daddy

Quote from: Bolivian Army on September 11, 2009, 09:16:32 AM
No, they're actually the ones not following the word as written.

http://www.esvstudybible.org/search?q=Mattew+22+36-40
Hey, Matthew, that reminds me of another passage. I can't quite put my finger on it.

QuoteI'm pretty sure you're quoting the old testament, which is a history of God's people. It would be more accurate to say that my book teaches me how they punished people for disobeying God back in the day. In fact, it teaches me that I have no right to judge others in the New Testament.

Oh yeah, it's related to this argument...
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+5%3A17-18&version=NIV
"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

The old laws are specifically mentioned that "not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen" of the old testament laws is changed until "heaven and earth disappear".  Silly how that works.

I think it would do a lot of good for people to study the bible rather than misuse it as an excuse.

inorite.

Samus Aran

I'm not reading any of that long stuff, but let me just say this:

JMV, the way you jumped on me with a huge-ass amount of text really only confirms what I said...that nobody can believe in God around here openly without being made a fool of, and that's just sad to me. YPR doesn't throw Bibles at you when you make your atheism known again and again.

Daddy

Quote from: Kaz on September 11, 2009, 11:18:26 AM
I'm not reading any of that long stuff, but let me just say this:

JMV, the way you jumped on me with a huge-ass amount of text really only confirms what I said...that nobody can believe in God around here openly without being made a fool of, and that's just sad to me. YPR doesn't throw Bibles at you when you make your atheism known again and again.
Don't you think you should actually read my post before posting?

"I'm not reading your post but the way you jumped on me with facts and reasoning only confirms it hurp durp". happydood;

Why don't you go read the post an actually reply to it instead of being retarded?

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

I think I have to agree with Kaz.

I'm not a very active member, so I dont see a real fraction of posts around here, but any time religion is even touched on, the side that's ineffectually trying to defend practicing is jumped on and brought down disgustingly fast.

I have yet to see someone seriously trying to defend without "oh you're a fucking idiot, here's why" thrown right back in their face.

Also, like Kaz said, I dont see anyone really trying to shove doctrine down anyone's throats.

It's fine being passionate about your own beliefs, which is a lack of one. Really, no problems. You bring up good points sometimes. But, I dont think a genuinely practicing christian, or buddhist, or muslim, who has done so the majority of their lives, is going to submit and change heart due to a rough response on a forum.

uh.

Daddy

Quote from: Son Of Stallion Vol.13 on September 11, 2009, 11:48:32 AM
I think I have to agree with Kaz.

I'm not a very active member, so I dont see a real fraction of posts around here, but any time religion is even touched on, the side that's ineffectually trying to defend practicing is jumped on and brought down disgustingly fast.

I have yet to see someone seriously trying to defend without "oh you're a fucking idiot, here's why" thrown right back in their face.

Also, like Kaz said, I dont see anyone really trying to shove doctrine down anyone's throats.

It's fine being passionate about your own beliefs, which is a lack of one. Really, no problems. You bring up good points sometimes. But, I dont think a genuinely practicing christian, or buddhist, or muslim, who has done so the majority of their lives, is going to submit and change heart due to a rough response on a forum.

uh.
Find a serious attack I've made on religion that wasn't in reaction to someone letting religion govern their lives or attempt to use it to govern the lives of others.

bonus: not in the evolution/does god exist/god isn't needed for morality/other threads specifically about religion for obvious reasons.

and you mean you haven't seen someone in a debate about religion not be presented with facts as to why their beliefs are illogical? damn atheists for actually using facts to support their views.

Samus Aran

It's not that you make serious attacks, it's that you do things that really could be genuinely hurtful to someone who's simply a believer, JMV. You joke around endlessly and every time God gets brought up you have to take time to talk about him not existing. Sometimes it's just annoying how it happens every time.

I'm just saying that it would be nice if you could tone down your need to bring everyone to the atheism side, at least on Boyah.

Daddy

Quote from: Kaz on September 11, 2009, 12:07:23 PM
It's not that you make serious attacks, it's that you do things that really could be genuinely hurtful to someone who's simply a believer, JMV. You joke around endlessly and every time God gets brought up you have to take time to talk about him not existing. Sometimes it's just annoying how it happens every time.

I'm just saying that it would be nice if you could tone down your need to bring everyone to the atheism side, at least on Boyah.
It's generally hurtful that they think I should burn in fire and brimstone for eternity.  saddood;

And I also talk about Shiva not existing, be fair. I'm an equal opportunity non-believer.  And you still ignored the post about how leaving it alone is bad.  baddood;

Samus Aran

You took my statement too broadly, JMV.  I meant that it should be let go on Boyah. You can campaign all you want out there in the real world if you think it's right. We're just sick of seeing it here.

And I don't recall anyone here saying that you're going to burn in Hell for an eternity, but if they did, I wouldn't like it either. I'm not one-sided here. If someone said something like that I'd call them out too.

Go Up