In which we decide if Thyme wants a DS for more than Scribblenauts...

Started by Thyme, August 23, 2009, 03:52:29 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Thyme

i can has suggestion thread too? :3

So yeah, since Scribblenauts looks like a really interesting game, I intended to get it along with a DS. Thing is, I'm not sure I want to buy a (portable) console for one single game.

I knew there had to be some more games I'd like for it, so I looked on Future Shop's website to see what games they had.

GOOD GOD THAT WAS DEPRESSING myface;

There were some good games, yes, but they were all buried under a huge steaming pile of Ubisoft shovelware. I don't know, maybe since Ubisoft has a studio here local companies try to push their games, but seeing all those Imagine games on there was nauseating. Not an exaggeration.

I also took a look at /v/'s list of recommended games for the DS and I'll admit it's a bit more reassuring. More notably, it does seem to have a nice selection of RPGs.

Most of you usually speak of the DS in a very good light. Some of you even place it as your favorite current-gen console. So for the sake of curiosity and activity (hi kaz lol), I would like Boyah's opinion on this. Have I been missing something? What games do you think I could like?

My tastes should be easy to guess: I'm an NES/SNES kid who grew up with platformers and then got into RPGs once his comprehension of written English got good enough. I'm generally easy to please, when a game is well-received by critics I usually like it. I don't intend to play online, though.

strongbad

The DS probably has one of the best libraries of any system out there. If you want to be cheap, you could just buy a flashcart which would easily justify your purchase of a DS. I would say that it is still worth it to get a DS if you are paying for your games, since there are loads of great games going for under $20.

I would also highly recommend getting a flashcart even if you are against piracy. There are tons of great homebrew apps and games out there that will more than validate your purchase of a flashcart.

If you're looking for platformers, the DS is an alright console. You have your Nintendo titles such as New Super Mario Bros and Yoshi's Island DS, which are decent games, and you also have three amazing Castlevania games that are each worth buying. There's also N+ and the Kirby games.

RPG wise the DS has an amazing selection. There are plenty of traditional RPGs (FF3, FFIV, DQIV, DQV), and a ton of RPGs that differ from the stray, like the Mario and Luigi games, TWEWY, and Puzzle Quest.

Also I would personally recommend:
Bangai-O Spirits: One of my favorite shmups ever. Look at a youtube video.
Civilization Revolution: Very addicting.
Worms Open Warefare 2: Very addicting.
Space Bust a Move: Very addicting.
My World My Way: A quirky RPG that feels a lot like Etrian Odyssey (I would also recommend).

I hope this helps.

Andria

DS has a nice rpg collection and pokemon  giggle; plus scribblenauts is on the horizon so I think it would be a good time to get one. I might even pick one up in a couple months.

Classic

Thymey I know you loved Space Channel 5 so I know you'll like Rhythm Heaven.  hocuspocus;
The Professor Layton series is also awesome. GET THEM.
Of course the Mario RPG Series, with Bowser's Inside Story coming as the third installment.
Kirby Canvas Curse and Kirby Superstar Ultra.

And of course, other great games I had but sold.  hocuspocus;

Nyerp

um mario kart ds
uh dragon quest rocket slime
more later
also what eveyone else said

strongbad

Nyerp

oh and get one of the dses that plays gba games so you can play all the portable warioware games

Kalahari Inkantation

Mario Kart Double Dash and Mario Kart DS are the two best Mario Kart games. If you like Mario Kart, MKDS is a necessity. n_u
i'd also recommend elite beat agents and rhythm heaven if you enjoy music games because they are the two best ones
Kirby Superstar Ultra is also the perfect games to satisfy the SNES lover in you. cjlubdoods;
oh and get canvas curse too
if you like shmups, get the nanostray games badass
And if you don't mind reading a little, the Ace Attorney games are my favorite DS titles and I would highly recommend them. girl;

I have yet to play Professor Layton or any of the Mario RPG games, but I'd certainly love to because they look fantastic. baddood;
same with the world ends with you, i haven't played it yet but it looks spectacular
oh and then there's all the pokemon games

and i'm probably forgetting about a dozen or so other great ones girl;

oh, i've also heard great things about chinatown wars if you're into grand theft auto baddood;

KonohaShinobi

DS has so many good games.

You can buy 7 great DS games for the price of 1 AAA game on next gen consoles.

My only question is: Why DON'T you have a DS?

Thyme

Quote from: KonohaShinobi on August 24, 2009, 06:06:06 PM
DS has so many good games.

You can buy 7 great DS games for the price of 1 AAA game on next gen consoles.

My only question is: Why DON'T you have a DS?

General lack of interest in portable gaming. Well, that used to be my reason, anyway.

I walk to school. maps;

Oh, and thanks for the suggestions guys. giggle;

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Thyme on August 24, 2009, 06:11:57 PM
General lack of interest in portable gaming. Well, that used to be my reason, anyway.

I walk to school. maps;

Oh, and thanks for the suggestions guys. giggle;
Have you made any decision(s) yet? baddood;

Thyme

Quote from: Tc on August 24, 2009, 06:13:46 PM
Have you made any decision(s) yet? baddood;

No. giggle;

This is for the long run, you know. I'm not buying a big-ass bunch of games all at once. baddood; I still have a few funds I can use for non-school stuff, but I wouldn't want to go too far.

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Thyme on August 24, 2009, 06:16:08 PM
No. giggle;

This is for the long run, you know. I'm not buying a big-ass bunch of games all at once. baddood; I still have a few funds I can use for non-school stuff, but I wouldn't want to go too far.
i just wanted to know if you'd decided on buying a ds yet n_u

Thyme

Quote from: Tc on August 24, 2009, 06:21:39 PM
i just wanted to know if you'd decided on buying a ds yet n_u

Yes. giggle;

This thread is more about the games, though. O_0

Go Up