"The Google vs. Apple War" uh bullshit?

Started by snorkel, August 04, 2009, 12:46:57 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

snorkel

"Is Google using the government to show Apple who's boss?" no

Don't know if everyone's up to speed on the federal investigation of Apple as to why, exactly, they denied the Google Voice app a spot in the App Store, but... well that's what's happening. There's been tons of random press about what this means for the tech industry and all variety of crazy stupid things

I could be wrong, but I'm really not seeing an epic battle playing out here. Apple is doing what they've always done -- be a dick and not play nice with other companies, because why would you if you had the products they do, and Google is doing what any company would do if they had the resources. In fact, I'm not entirely sure Google even requested/instigated any investigation, or if the FCC has just had an eye on the ridiculous appstore-approval thing for awhile and decided to make a point this time.

I can certainly see a bit of rivalry developing in the future as Google fleshes out its Chrome and Android offerings to compete with Apple's mobile platforms, but at the end of the day Google is still committed to being a software company (at least that's their official statement), and Apple has historically been primarily a hardware company.

What's your take on it?

Samus Aran

I'm pretty sure it's just a typical move by Apple, I don't see any reason to "investigate."

reeper

apple is a proprietary dick just like microsoft is.

i don't see why people favor apple so much (sure the iphone is fucking awesome and the OSs are cool but other than that they're overpriced pretty looking pcs that do the same as a cheaper version running linux or whatnot)

snorkel

Quote from: reefer on August 04, 2009, 04:02:41 PM
apple is a proprietary dick just like microsoft is.

i don't see why people favor apple so much (sure the iphone is fucking awesome and the OSs are cool but other than that they're overpriced pretty looking pcs that do the same as a cheaper version running linux or whatnot)

Which is exactly why I built my core i7 pc and installed OS X on it n_u

Quote from: Kaz on August 04, 2009, 12:52:20 PM
I'm pretty sure it's just a typical move by Apple, I don't see any reason to "investigate."

Their process for reviewing appstore submissions (it's not real) IS ridiculous, though

Daddy

I blame AT&T for the rejection this time.

Google Voice offers free SMS and it's clear why AT&T would have a problem with this.
Google voice also offers cheap international calling--yet another thing AT&T would have a problem with.

AT&T pressured Apple into rejecting Slingbox because they didn't want it on their network, this would be the same.

Go Up