April 16, 2024, 02:12:36 PM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Skinhead Scene

Started by Dullahan, February 19, 2009, 02:37:32 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Dullahan

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH61qZtvugg[/youtube]

What do you think? I honestly did not know about this until just a few days ago.

This report is 20 years old. And quoting the one non-racist skinhead, there are some "phonies" who are trying to merge into the scene. Have the "phonies" overcome the non-racist skinheads in the last 20 years? The reason I'm asking is because I always thought the main way of being a skinhead is by being a racist. And I only gathered that because I was told by some brief information in conversations and movies like American History X. It's not that I do this on purpose, mind you.

What about New York? For those who live there, do you believe the skinheads are antisemitic racists or just rebellious young people? What are your thoughts on this?

l a c e y

OMG, i love that movie..
american history x that is, it was so disturbing but soo good.
like i couldn't take my eyes off it, i didn't even want to go pee cause i didn't wanna miss anything.

but i always assumed they were racist.
noras ex boyfriend doug is a skinhead why don't we go ask him?

Dullahan

Quote from: lacette on February 19, 2009, 02:52:04 PM
OMG, i love that movie..
american history x that is, it was so disturbing but soo good.
like i couldn't take my eyes off it, i didn't even want to go pee cause i didn't wanna miss anything.

but i always assumed they were racist.
noras ex boyfriend doug is a skinhead why don't we go ask him?
Parker? Really? I didn't know that. I just thought he was creepy.

And I thought no one that goes to our school would have seen that movie.

Slim

You're a skinhead if, you know, you have a shaved head.

It became associated with neo-nazis over time because that's the look they adopted. It's all explained in the video. The simple act of shaving one's head and listening to punk music does not make one a racist, obviously.

It's not that complicated really.
Quote from: Snowy Deluxe on July 07, 2011, 04:05:09 PM
Hey look I'm Slim and I act like an asshole because it makes me cool! Right guys?

Dullahan

Quote from: Slim on February 19, 2009, 02:55:33 PM
You're a skinhead if, you know, you have a shaved head.

It became associated with neo-nazis over time because that's the look they adopted. The simple act of shaving one's head and listening to punk music does not make one a racist, obviously.

It's not that complicated really.
If someone shaves their head and listens to punk rock, they don't always consider themselves skinheads. Some people even consider that a style or even a phase that their style goes through.

l a c e y

Quote from: John Elton on February 19, 2009, 02:54:21 PM
Parker? Really? I didn't know that. I just thought he was creepy.

And I thought no one that goes to our school would have seen that movie.

yeah him, he at one point had one of them jackets that hitlers army wore or whatever and he had the natzi armband thinger and he wore army boots and like he wore the dumb pants, shaved his head, and if i do remember correctly he went on a rant about something to do with that or something..
but he's just a fucking retard from paris, so who even knows..

why would you have thought no one would have seen it.?

Dullahan

Quote from: lacette on February 19, 2009, 03:00:40 PM
yeah him, he at one point had one of them jackets that hitlers army wore or whatever and he had the natzi armband thinger and he wore army boots and like he wore the dumb pants, shaved his head, and if i do remember correctly he went on a rant about something to do with that or something..
but he's just a fucking retard from paris, so who even knows..

why would you have thought no one would have seen it.?
Dunno, just seems like a minority.

Slim

Quote from: John Elton on February 19, 2009, 02:57:30 PM
If someone shaves their head and listens to punk rock, they don't always consider themselves skinheads. Some people even consider that a style or even a phase that their style goes through.

How does that change anything? It's also a subculture that people self-identify into then. You saw it yourself: many (if not most) of them don't consider themselves racist and are in fact anti-racist. Neo-Nazis apparently adopted the style as well, hence why being a skinhead is so closely linked to being a Neo-Nazi in popular culture. Mystery solved.

Quote from: lacette on February 19, 2009, 03:00:40 PM
yeah him, he at one point had one of them jackets that hitlers army wore or whatever and he had the natzi armband thinger and he wore army boots and like he wore the dumb pants...

Sounds like my kind of guy.
Hey look I'm Slim and I act like an asshole because it makes me cool! Right guys?

Dullahan

Quote from: Slim on February 19, 2009, 03:14:07 PM
How does that change anything? It's also a subculture that people self-identify into then. You saw it yourself: many (if not most) of them don't consider themselves racist and are in fact anti-racist. Neo-Nazis apparently adopted the style as well, hence why being a skinhead is so closely linked to being a Neo-Nazi in popular culture. Mystery solved.
But those ones do call themselves skinheads with the lack of knowledge of what being a skinhead really means. Well, prehistorically, if your opinion is that.

All I'm saying is that some people, even non-racist ones, do that all the time. Whether it's pretentious, or they are just doing it for whatever the hell they like. Either way, some don't call themselves skinheads and don't go into that scene. Mystery solved.

Slim

Hiro

I thought a skinhead was, by definition, a racist.

sans culottes

I, too, thought skinhead culture was built on Neo-Nazism. Skinheads are another subculture that collapsed when the bad side of it overshadowed what it really was.
I support BUSH

Go Up