April 18, 2024, 08:00:59 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

i'm kinda worried for my friend

Started by xronniiee, September 24, 2008, 09:02:01 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

FAMY2

Quote from: Flying Circus on October 09, 2008, 06:20:01 PM
Pre-determinism is a terrible belief

And you believe we have control and can change the outcome? I don't know what I think.

Mortel

Another good idea might be to talk to your friend's parents.

If you get a chance to speak with her parents privately when your friend is not around (I don't know how that would occur), tell them that you are deeply concerned about their child's well being, and you seriously think something needs to be done.  Explain the situation to them, and let it go from there.  Be careful to not do it in a way that will send your friend into another anxiety attack, though.

the shortest route to the sea

Quote from: Mortel on October 11, 2008, 02:23:01 PM
Another good idea might be to talk to your friend's parents.

If you get a chance to speak with her parents privately when your friend is not around (I don't know how that would occur), tell them that you are deeply concerned about their child's well being, and you seriously think something needs to be done.  Explain the situation to them, and let it go from there.  Be careful to not do it in a way that will send your friend into another anxiety attack, though.

Going through a friend's parents assumes that the parents have nothing to do with the problem; if they did, they would definitely react in some way against her telling people, which would only make the situation worse. Also, from personal experience, the scariest thing for any disorder or pain sometimes is that your parents find out. It's usually irrational, but still, she could have another panic attack, even while they're helping her. It's best to talk to her directly, and try to listen more than you speak (allowing her to speak and allowing you less chance to mess up).

A good therapist does just this, while combining other basic skills. They must be first good listeners, but they must also know how to react after listening, usually by asking the right questions. I agree wholeheartedly with finding the right one, who balances listening and response, while also knowing when they should initiate some sort of action in a patient's life (like medication or speaking with someone).

Quote from: Clair on October 10, 2008, 07:43:39 PM
And you believe we have control and can change the outcome? I don't know what I think.

I tend towards Satre's explanation: that we are technically free and technically bound. We are free to make choices, and those choices are inherent in our existence and in our free will, but we are bound and confined by the choices we make for the rest of our lives. To be totally free is to be under the weight of your own choices alone, knowing that you are completely responsible.

Quote from: Socks on January 03, 2011, 09:56:24 PM
pompous talk for my eyes water and quiver with a twitch like a little bitch

jerk1

Almighty Wyld Wrath

Quote from: Houdini on October 09, 2008, 03:47:42 PM
What the hell? Yeah, actually she does. It's not like God is trying to make her life suck. She can alter her situation if she wants.

Quote from: Flying Circus on October 09, 2008, 06:20:01 PM
Pre-determinism is a terrible belief

I'm not saying we're all going to die and then go to heaven or hell or whatever, accept it and move on.

I'm saying we're all going to DIE, Accept it, Get on with your life.

I don't know what the truth is about the afterlife and I don't pretend to know.  I also don't pretend to know the intricate mechanics of the universe.  Thus I don't bother concerning myself with who's right, who's wrong, or what deity needs me to praise his name on a regular basis to  satisfy his ego.

You can't possibly be absolutely certain of how this whole 'existence' works so all you can do is stick to your convictions, be willing to hear the opposing argument, and live your life to the best of your ability.  staying up till 5 in the morning giving yourself a panic attack over and over again because you can't figure out something that is by nature beyond human comprehension won't help anyone or anything.
Boring Children Can Be Helped.

By Someone Else.

Go Up