April 23, 2024, 03:50:15 PM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Books - check them out

Started by reeper, June 26, 2008, 02:16:40 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Daddy

Limbo: Blue Collar Roots, White Collar Dreams. We have to read it for class.

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

Bicycle Diaries  by David Byrne

A book about David Byrne's experiences biking around various cities around the world.

Skylark

the book of right on

Chōshū

I should finish Billions and Billions by Carl Sagan tomorrow.  After that it's The Greatest Show on Earth by Richard Dawkins. 

rdl

One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest = thumbup;

Are there any other good books left that you're forced to read in high school? All we've got left are Midsummer Night's Dream, Catcher in the Rye, Great Gatsby, and a few others.

Cookie

I just bought House of Leaves. Hopefully I'll get it in the mail by next week.

Samus Aran

Quote from: RDX on October 29, 2009, 01:34:08 PM
One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest = thumbup;

Are there any other good books left that you're forced to read in high school? All we've got left are Midsummer Night's Dream, Catcher in the Rye, Great Gatsby, and a few others.

Midsummer is actually one of my least favorite Shakespeare comedies, but its still great

Catcher in the Rye is my favorite novel ever

Great Gatsby is all right, didn't see all the fuss over it really, not entirely my style

Socks

Had to read Brave New World in HS. Loved it.

Skylark

Quote from: Socks on October 29, 2009, 04:59:45 PM
Had to read Brave New World in HS. Loved it.

I love Aldous Huxley.

I also love The Grapes of Wrath which we had to read and I read The Fountainhead for summer reading last year if that counts. Also, Of Mice and Men.
the book of right on

Chōshū

Socks

Finished The Things They Carried. What an awesome awesome writer and book.

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

Finished Bicycle Diaries by David Byrne last night.

Learned some cool things, like the american government sponsored world-wide jazz tours to make america seem cool because it had jazz music.

Russia did the same thing kinda, instead of jazz musicians, they had artists.

Also, tips on buying bicycles and stuff at the end.

YPrrrr

Finished Woman At Point Zero. It gives a look into the life of an Egyptian woman named Firdaus and all the sexism that holds her down as a woman in society. It's pretty good overall and makes some solid points, but it's kind of hard to read as a male since it basically just slams the entire sex as being a bunch of bastards, sometimes hypocritically.

l a c e y

TWILIGHT NEW MOON - OH GOD. it was soo sooo sooooooooooooo good. i loved it. im not a huge twilight fan. and i didnt think robert pattinson was very goodlooking until today. but holy smokes. thats not why i liked the movie though. i liked that it had a lot of action and great romance. i cant wiat until the next movie comes out.

Nyerp

Quote from: l a c e y on November 29, 2009, 03:50:38 PM
TWILIGHT NEW MOON - OH GOD. it was soo sooo sooooooooooooo good. i loved it. im not a huge twilight fan. and i didnt think robert pattinson was very goodlooking until today. but holy smokes. thats not why i liked the movie though. i liked that it had a lot of action and great romance. i cant wiat until the next movie comes out.

that's not a book lacey

Go Up