April 18, 2024, 10:57:28 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Books - check them out

Started by reeper, June 26, 2008, 02:16:40 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Houdini

Quote from: Skylark on December 08, 2008, 04:43:27 PM
I love Ayn Rand and I love Brave New World. I hope you're all enjoying those...

a while ago somebody mentioned Tao Lin in here (or I am pretty sure they did) and that is what I am going to get next. Now I am just rereading Fried Green Tomatoes.
I haven't read Eeeee Eee Eeee yet, but I've read some of Tao Lin's poetry and it's terrible. For all I know, his book might be good, but his poetry is just awful. I'm usually not a violent person, but judging by his poetry I think this guy would benefit from having a few teeth knocked out.

That reminds me - I've been reading some of Henry Rollins' books lately, and they're surprisingly good. He has some pretty interesting thoughts.

Skylark

Quote from: Houdini on December 10, 2008, 06:07:31 PM
I haven't read Eeeee Eee Eeee yet, but I've read some of Tao Lin's poetry and it's terrible. For all I know, his book might be good, but his poetry is just awful. I'm usually not a violent person, but judging by his poetry I think this guy would benefit from having a few teeth knocked out.

That reminds me - I've been reading some of Henry Rollins' books lately, and they're surprisingly good. He has some pretty interesting thoughts.

the poetry didn't really impress me but the letters I was reading I thought were so funny! so i thought i might try the book to see if it would be like the letters.
the book of right on

Houdini

Quote from: Skylark on December 10, 2008, 06:15:15 PM
the poetry didn't really impress me but the letters I was reading I thought were so funny! so i thought i might try the book to see if it would be like the letters.
I read a few of those. I don't like Tao's letters, but Ellen's letters are great. I like the last one:

dear tao

i feel lonely too.

ellen

Short, simple, and poignant. Just the way I like 'em.

I read a few pages of Tao Lin's book in a bookstore a few days ago. It seemed alright. Maybe I'll buy it if I have some spare cash.

Skylark

Quote from: Houdini on December 10, 2008, 06:42:27 PM
I read a few of those. I don't like Tao's letters, but Ellen's letters are great. I like the last one:

Short, simple, and poignant. Just the way I like 'em.

I read a few pages of Tao Lin's book in a bookstore a few days ago. It seemed alright. Maybe I'll buy it if I have some spare cash.

yeah she was more enjoyable, but it was the exchange that I liked so much and when they would change the way they left the letter was so funny. And the hotplates thing. It was all so funny (to me)

I think I will still probably read it.
the book of right on

reeper

Quote from: Houdini on December 10, 2008, 06:07:31 PM
I'm glad that you agree.

You won't like his book anymore than his poems.

Josh

I'm not a big reader, but of the books I've read through the years, I've loved: The Catcher In The Rye, As I Lay Dying, Oliver Twist...eh...there's not many more, but those are the ones I enjoyed. :P

I've had to suffer through The Lord Of The Flies 3 times, but I found it somewhat interesting the first way through in summer school.

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

We started reading "The Five People You Meet In Heaven" yesterday in english class.

Pretty good book, Kinda predictable, but good nonetheless

reeper

January 03, 2009, 03:20:20 AM #202 Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 03:27:43 AM by reefer
Diary by Chuck Palahniuk - I don't know if this book repeats phrases more than others, but I'm pretty much finally annoyed of it. "Just so you know" was repeated at least 40 times throughout this book. He did have some great conclusions, "everything you do is a diary" as in the way you walk, talk, and write is really just a way to describe yourself.

Fight Club > Choke > Invisible Monsters > Survivor > Diary > Rant >  Snuff

I only have four of his books left and probably going to read the rest just so I've read all of it. Choke and Fight Club are pretty close, I'd kind of would have to say they're equal but Fight Club's movie was better than Choke's so Fight Club wins.

LCK

January 03, 2009, 08:25:32 PM #203 Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 08:32:14 PM by Trevor
I just finished reading Life of Pi. It's a novel by Yann Martel.

It tells of an Indian boy in the city of Pondicherry. His father is a zookeeper and so on. Eventually they sell the zoo and move to Canada. They travel to Canada by way of cargo ship, and the cargo ship sinks in the Pacific ocean. Mind you, there were some animals in this ship.
The main character of the story, Pi Patel, is left on a lifeboat with a Bengal tiger,  a hyena, a zebra, and an orangutan. The tiger kills off the other animals and so on.
Pi Patel, being the son of a zookeeper is very knowledgeable of animals. He gradually establishes a dominant relationship with the tiger and somehow keeps himself alive.
Most of the story explains how he stays alive and keeps the tiger at bay and so on.

What really intrigued me was the ending. Something in which I really did not expect. And I just really want a solid answer of what happened, but I'll never get it.

Really though, it was a brilliant book.

Also, the only book I've read by Palahniuk is Haunted. I want to read more but apparently his works are in short supply around here or something. I began reading Choke when one of my friends had it, but I only got so far into it before they wanted it back for reasons really unknown to me. They don't read it. :'(

Josh

I'm not a fan of books, but my favorites are:

Oliver Twist, The Catcher In The Rye, As I Lay Dying, Lord Of The Flies, The Hobbit, and Sherlock Holmes. I don't read much, but meh.

reeper

Quote from: Trevor on January 03, 2009, 08:25:32 PM
I just finished reading Life of Pi. It's a novel by Yann Martel.

It tells of an Indian boy in the city of Pondicherry. His father is a zookeeper and so on. Eventually they sell the zoo and move to Canada. They travel to Canada by way of cargo ship, and the cargo ship sinks in the Pacific ocean. Mind you, there were some animals in this ship.
The main character of the story, Pi Patel, is left on a lifeboat with a Bengal tiger,  a hyena, a zebra, and an orangutan. The tiger kills off the other animals and so on.
Pi Patel, being the son of a zookeeper is very knowledgeable of animals. He gradually establishes a dominant relationship with the tiger and somehow keeps himself alive.
Most of the story explains how he stays alive and keeps the tiger at bay and so on.

What really intrigued me was the ending. Something in which I really did not expect. And I just really want a solid answer of what happened, but I'll never get it.

Really though, it was a brilliant book.

Also, the only book I've read by Palahniuk is Haunted. I want to read more but apparently his works are in short supply around here or something. I began reading Choke when one of my friends had it, but I only got so far into it before they wanted it back for reasons really unknown to me. They don't read it. :'(
I haven't read Haunted but it's my next book that I plan to read from him.

I started Norweign Wood but only ten or so pages into it. It's okay.

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

I gave up reading Brave New World. It was so damn boring

Lozal

Quote from: Captain Not Sid on January 06, 2009, 06:07:38 AM
I gave up reading Brave New World. It was so damn boring
what

what chapter did you give up on? the beginning is sort of slow.
powerofone; powerofone; powerofone; powerofone; powerofone;

Quote from: Pyrate on November 20, 2009, 05:11:08 AM

"You have an amazing body. You have amazing breasts."

Skylark

I am almost done with Howl's Moving Castle an am thoroughly impressed

after this I am going to tackle Gone With the Wind
the book of right on

Classic

Quote from: Skylark on January 07, 2009, 08:22:02 PM
I am almost done with Howl's Moving Castle an am thoroughly impressed

after this I am going to tackle Gone With the Wind

Is the book version good?

Also, Gone with the Wind is AMAZING. I cry every time. You need to read it A.S.A.P.

Go Up