April 18, 2024, 04:48:49 PM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Books - check them out

Started by reeper, June 26, 2008, 02:16:40 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

reeper

Starting on Brave New World tonight, seems that you guys all love it and I love these types of books. Then 1984 hopefully.

reeper

Quote from: reefer on December 04, 2008, 12:12:29 AM
Starting on Brave New World tonight, seems that you guys all love it and I love these types of books. Then 1984 hopefully.
Scratch that, I started Diary instead. I don't know why.

Chuck Palahniuk again. So far it's pretty good, about a guy who lives on a fish bone shaped island, he's quite sad seems of committing suicide. Has a wife, daughter, and mother. Chapter 2 is awesome, he relates the layers of skin to these three women (mom, wife, kid.)

Wrench

Quote from: reefer on December 04, 2008, 12:12:29 AM

I despise BNW, but love 1984. Read both of them last year.

Selkie

The Arcade Fire's Funeral album.

I forgot how freaking beautiful this is.

Definitely in my top 3

Samus Aran

Quote from: Selkie224 on December 04, 2008, 06:04:56 PM
The Arcade Fire's Funeral album.

I forgot how freaking beautiful this is.

Definitely in my top 3

Yeah I heard Roger Ebert called it the best video game ever.

thezerofire

Quote from: reefer on December 03, 2008, 09:55:07 PM
I'm father into it, I noticed it's a very political book. The characters are named after parts of government.

In doing some research on the novel I found a book called We which many of you will wanted to check out, especially those fond of 1984 and Brave New World. 1984 had influences from We.

I might go check it out then.

Houdini

Quote from: reefer on December 04, 2008, 12:06:52 AM
What has Houdini read of hers?
Nothing, but I have better things to do than waste my time on a 1,000 page book when I already know it sucks.

reeper

Quote from: Houdini on December 05, 2008, 04:49:23 PM
Nothing, but I have better things to do than waste my time on a 1,000 page book when I already know it sucks.
Read Anthem, 100 pages. It's a good book and if you don't like it's not a huge waste of your time. Read it in a book store so you don't even have to pay for it.

Houdini

Quote from: reefer on December 05, 2008, 08:48:33 PM
Read Anthem, 100 pages. It's a good book and if you don't like it's not a huge waste of your time. Read it in a book store so you don't even have to pay for it.
Funny you mentioned that. I was planning on reading it today before I read this post. I found out you can get it for free on the internet, so I don't even have to leave my house. Laziness: 1, Barnes & Noble: 0

reeper

Quote from: Houdini on December 06, 2008, 04:00:25 PM
Funny you mentioned that. I was planning on reading it today before I read this post. I found out you can get it for free on the internet, so I don't even have to leave my house. Laziness: 1, Barnes & Noble: 0
Do it.

Houdini

OK, so now I've read Anthem. I think it was good but not great I liked it up until the part after the main character escapes. After that, it kinda fell apart. I especially didn't like that chapter towards the end where the main character just talks about his new philosophy. Overall, I think the book is alright, but I wouldn't read any of her other stuff.

reeper

Quote from: Houdini on December 07, 2008, 09:38:19 PM
OK, so now I've read Anthem. I think it was good but not great I liked it up until the part after the main character escapes. After that, it kinda fell apart. I especially didn't like that chapter towards the end where the main character just talks about his new philosophy. Overall, I think the book is alright, but I wouldn't read any of her other stuff.
I agree. The book leads up to the discovery of the "forbidden word" but he finds and understands it so quickly. I can sense that all of her books could be the same just to stress her philosophy about people.

Skylark

I love Ayn Rand and I love Brave New World. I hope you're all enjoying those...

a while ago somebody mentioned Tao Lin in here (or I am pretty sure they did) and that is what I am going to get next. Now I am just rereading Fried Green Tomatoes.
the book of right on

reeper

Quote from: Skylark on December 08, 2008, 04:43:27 PM
I love Ayn Rand and I love Brave New World. I hope you're all enjoying those...

a while ago somebody mentioned Tao Lin in here (or I am pretty sure they did) and that is what I am going to get next. Now I am just rereading Fried Green Tomatoes.
I did, Tao Lin is awful.

It's not even a book, it's just his random jumbling of elementary vocabulary with spurts of HUGE words without a clear meaning. Awful.

Skylark

Quote from: reefer on December 08, 2008, 05:40:16 PM
I did, Tao Lin is awful.

It's not even a book, it's just his random jumbling of elementary vocabulary with spurts of HUGE words without a clear meaning. Awful.

Aw, really :( I was reading through this:
http://www.bearparade.com/hikikomori/

the letters and I thought it was so funny... maybe I'll rethink it
the book of right on

Go Up