April 16, 2024, 06:22:20 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Books - check them out

Started by reeper, June 26, 2008, 02:16:40 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

silvertone

i read Atomised by Michel Houllbecq and it rules even w/ it's weirdo ending. Narrator kinda rants on and on, i get taht he's trying to show the thought patterns of the main chars, but it sometimes it's just Like OK mang We Get It.

tried moravagine, got halfway through, and going to put it on hold because im not getting too into it. I think 2 much frenchie ....overloaded.

currently reading JUNKY by burroughs. "Is Good"-  me on it so far.

Samus Aran

i saw you recommended Junky to me on GR silvertone, but do you think i'll like it much if i thought Naked Lunch was just okay? Naked Lunch was way too drug-addled and nonsensical for me, good writing style notwithstanding

silvertone

it's nothing like naked lunch.

it's more autobiographical and prior to the discovery of the Cut Up Method. it also doesnt have any pulp/dada/scifi influences that he adopted later on. no transmutation, no experimentation. just straight facts.

i love the ending, mostly because of how screwy it is.

Socks

geuys i got norwegian wood by murakami, they didn't have south of the border, west of the sun. also got animal farm by orwell.

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

animal farm is really rad. i enjoyed that book alot in middle school though i can't tell you details about it now. definitely need to reread.

Orwell wrote a really great essay called Killing an Elephant or something that was about a situation when he was stationed in India (iirc). I wholeheartedly recommend checking it out.

Samus Aran

got some books while i was out today.

Childhood’s End, by Arthur C. Clarke
Junky, by William Burroughs
Things Fall Apart, by Chinua Achebe
The Master and Margarita, by Mikhail Bulgakov

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

Things Fall Apart is so god damn good. I read that book like 5 times in high school

Samus Aran

The other night i finished Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto. It was a really sweet book that a lot of people might find cheesy for its hyper-romantic descriptive language, but I found it really endearing. Very thoughtful little book about love and loss.

Before that was Roadmarks, by Roger Zelazny. It was mostly just ok. It had a lot of potential but it was mostly a weird confusing mess tbh. I'm going to assume his other, more well-known works are better.

Aaaand before that I read Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, by Haruki Murakami. It was a lot like Kafka on the Shore. I'm pretty biased toward Murakami so I really enjoyed it, but I do think it's one of the worse books of his I've read.

Samus Aran

Quote from: Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo on October 15, 2016, 05:05:02 PM
Things Fall Apart is so god damn good. I read that book like 5 times in high school

yeah i've heard it's amazing. my girlfriend actually had to read it in school, apparently it's not an uncommon curriculum book

strongbad

giving up on the cryptomicon
good book but i keep losing interest on and off and am only on page 250/1100 and i just want to read something that doesnt feel like a chore again :(

Samus Aran

i started Everything Is Illuminated and idk not really feeling it so far

also at my job one of the managers is affiliated with some charity or something and one of the ways she raises a pittance of money is by selling donated books for a quarter a piece in the breakroom. and there was Contact and Dead Man's Walk so i got those

unfortunately they are both those shitty "now a major motion picture" etc. editions with the actors on the cover but for a quarter a piece i'm not complaining

strongbad

read the newest murakami book (also my first murakami), colorless tsukuru

wasn't the best story or book but damn was it engaging. first time i've ever read a whole book in a day. i felt like the main character was very relatable and even his plight was somewhat relatable. deifnitely want to read more murakami now

Samus Aran

Quote from: antmaster5000 on October 21, 2016, 04:57:34 PM
read the newest murakami book (also my first murakami), colorless tsukuru

wasn't the best story or book but damn was it engaging. first time i've ever read a whole book in a day. i felt like the main character was very relatable and even his plight was somewhat relatable. deifnitely want to read more murakami now

read wind-up bird chronicle

Thyme

Quote from: Thyme on March 22, 2016, 09:32:28 AM
Quote from: Sakura Kinomoto on March 21, 2016, 10:05:54 PM
Quote from: Rhyme on March 21, 2016, 09:08:51 AM
just bought vonnegut's sirens of titan, which was on sale in the kindle store

sirens of titan is so great. vonnegut's first classic.

yeah, i believe i added it to my wishlist per your recommendation lol

ITT thyme is a very slow reader
i've been reading it mostly while waiting at concerts
i'm like 85% done

i like it but it's really weird to me, this is my first vonnegut novel and i'm not sure i like his style all that much goowan

[spoiler]winston niles rumfoord is rude to everyone: the novel[/spoiler]

Thyme

also i just bought cryptonomicon which was on sale on the kindle store

i wonder if boyah will still be here when i finish it in three years goowan

Go Up