April 18, 2024, 02:14:47 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Books - check them out

Started by reeper, June 26, 2008, 02:16:40 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

strongbad

oh he did space odyssey. never read that but prob should

also started reading breakfast of champions. wanted to read some vonnegut and this and timequake were the only ones at the used english book store. will probably check out timequake after i finish this.

silvertone

the book is just as good as the movie, makes a Hell A Lot More sense imo. they pair well.

vonnegut has some good stories, but if eel like if you read one you read em all. though i read a good short story by him the other day called the big space fuck.

you ever read in watermelon sugar? I imagine you might like it. It's highly surreal story, that isn't quite scifi or fantasy but sorta is. kinda feels like vonnegut too. i recommend it.

strongbad

ill add it to my ever expanding list that i have a real hard time fulfilling in thailand lol

Samus Aran

Been reading What is the What. Really good so far

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

Quote from: Sakura Kinomoto on April 07, 2016, 04:06:14 PM
Been reading What is the What. Really good so far
hell yeah that is a good book

strongbad

finished breakfast of champions. Very good story

Started and am almost finished with cats cradle. Definitely a good story but not my favorite so far

silvertone

been Reading the man who fell to earth, it's surprisingly good. feels like scifi that wouldn't be marketed as ... scifi but im only halfway through

strongbad

Quote from: SVT on April 12, 2016, 04:34:36 PM
been Reading the man who fell to earth, it's surprisingly good. feels like scifi that wouldn't be marketed as ... scifi but im only halfway through

SCIFI !!!!!

i just bought consider plebas by banks. first book in the culture series which is about a post-scarcity utopian society (thx wikipedia). sounded appealing hope i like it!

oh also finished cat's cradle. enjoyed it a lot. the ending was pretty damn crazy. i think i need to read up on some analysis because there were a lot of things that seemed like they might have gone over my head

Samus Aran

the idea of liking breakfast of champions more than cat's cradle is absolute insanity but i'm at least glad you liked both

strongbad

yeah even vonnegut said BoC was his 2nd least favorite book lol
hard to compare them since the stories are so different in how they're structured but in terms of pure enjoyment i think i liked BoC

Samus Aran

finished What is the What

really fantastic book pls read

strongbad

tell me why i should read it in a single sentence with two commas max hocuspocus;

silvertone

Quote from: antmaster5000 on April 19, 2016, 08:11:37 PM
tell me why i should read it in a single sentence with two commas max hocuspocus;
it's about a black guy

strongbad

silvertone

i stopped reading the man who fell to earth and started reading damnation alley. i finished it last night, it was OK. zelazny is a Really Good Writer and i feel like he's kinda ignored. which sucks. imo.

Go Up