April 17, 2024, 11:51:59 PM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Books - check them out

Started by reeper, June 26, 2008, 02:16:40 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

strongbad

can somebody recommend me a book to read
my favorite books are about drug addicts and science fiction

haven't read in a while but i am mostly looking for something that is interesting and a relatively easy read
thx

silvertone

Quote from: antmaster5000 on August 31, 2015, 06:44:13 PM

haven't read in a while but i am mostly looking for something that is interesting and a relatively easy read
thx

uhm im going to check your goodreads real quick.

well if you haven't read any burroughs it fits both of those things, check out wild boys or cities of the red nights because there is lots of sick scifi elements as well as tons of drugs. and they aren't arbitrarily organized cut up novels

have u read neuromancer, cos that might be Up Your Alley.

and pkd obv. pkd is #1 scifi drug lit.

and there's dune where dynasties rise and fall over The Greatest  Drug Known To Man.

ssry if u read all of these.

strongbad

my goodreads isn't really up to date with everything i've read (but it should be lol)
will read wild boys and let you know how it is lol

i actually listened to a podcast on burroughs and he was a pretty fucking interesting guy and i wished that i would have had some of his books in my mind at the time

thx for the suggestions. i actually started dune a few years ago and got kind of bored after like 100 pages. i should really get back into it though- i keep hearing how amazing it is

silvertone

dune's good but it's so good everyone ripped it off and it isnt as unique/original as it was back then

another neat author is roger zelazny. his book Lord of Light is Supreme

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Quote from: antmaster5000 on August 31, 2015, 06:52:13 PM
my goodreads isn't really up to date with everything i've read (but it should be lol)
will read wild boys and let you know how it is lol

i actually listened to a podcast on burroughs and he was a pretty fucking interesting guy and i wished that i would have had some of his books in my mind at the time

thx for the suggestions. i actually started dune a few years ago and got kind of bored after like 100 pages. i should really get back into it though- i keep hearing how amazing it is

Valis Valis Valis

strongbad

The Wild Boys is nuts so far. Burroughs has a very unique style
I'll read valis next. Sounds like it has a lot of Boyah hype

Samus Aran

I haven't read VALIS yet cause I don't have the other books of the series yet and I'm worried about loving VALIS and then not having the next one ready

As soon as I got the other ones, VALIS is going to the top of my to-read list

strongbad

Quote from: Sakura Kinomoto on September 01, 2015, 10:50:35 AM
I haven't read VALIS yet cause I don't have the other books of the series yet and I'm worried about loving VALIS and then not having the next one ready

isn't one of them never going to come out becasue PKD died or something?
or so i thought i read from the wikipedia page

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

September 01, 2015, 12:20:44 PM #803 Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 02:21:54 PM by Boogus Epirus Aurelius
Also, I  finished reading Mcmurty's "Lonesome Dove" recently. Really fucking fantastic novel. Can't believe I hadn't read it before now.

It's everything that is the myth of the American Western, but things are kind of...grounded? I don't know.
It's been one of the few books I've read in ages that gives so much insight to each and every character. You actually understand every motivation and every flaw. Imagine that.

Can't recommend it enough.

silvertone

Quote from: antmaster5000 on September 01, 2015, 11:16:33 AM
Quote from: Sakura Kinomoto on September 01, 2015, 10:50:35 AM

isn't one of them never going to come out becasue PKD died or something?
or so i thought i read from the wikipedia page

yea, People consider timothy archer to be #3 but they are Dead Wrong.

Quote from: Boogus Epirus Aurelius on September 01, 2015, 12:20:44 PM
Also, I  finished reading Mcmurty's "Lonesome Dove" recently. Really fucking fantastic novel. Can't believe I hadn't read it before now.

It's everything that is the myth of the American Western, but things are kind of...grounded? I don't know.
It's been one of the few book I've read in ages that gives so much insight to each and every character. You actually understand every motivation and every flaw. Imagine that.

Can't recommend it enough.

*adds to reading list*

snoorkel

Quote from: antmaster5000 on August 31, 2015, 06:44:13 PM

thx

i suggest PKD / A Scanner Darkly even if you've seen the movie

strongbad

boyah has a hard pkdick for pkd
get it

silvertone

get a library of america and get 4 novels for the price of 5

strongbad

Also silvertone wtf is wild boys
I'm 30% into it and I have no idea what is going on and the only common themes are gay eroticism and torture

P good so far

snoorkel

DwightDL whats your goodreads?

Go Up