April 19, 2024, 07:51:09 PM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Books - check them out

Started by reeper, June 26, 2008, 02:16:40 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Socks

Ever since I returned I have been picking up books compulsively. A habit which I hate. So I have stopped it. And tasked myself to read all of the purchases before more new ones.

So far, I've slept with the manageress and Karl, cried with the darling and smiled with the student, and curiously, happily brooded with werther! After which it seemed only natural that I trot with the devil in Moscow; Margarita was my mistress there. I, being the master. But the weather intruded and my mind interluded into mountains and slopes. Down from them I tumbled, of course, and yelled like a lunatic. A bum some might say. In Dharma. This was way too much, so I sailed the plains, and peeked at the Steppenwolf. Out of his tail grew nine stories, I plucked only the first two.

I am thinking now like a good month to go through all of this. And I believe there is one more I am forgetting...

the shortest route to the sea

The Ethical Slut. It's a limited but very beautiful and baseline-laying book for discussion of polyamory in mainstream society. It's up there with Whipping Girl and Sex at Dawn on the "people will tell you that this book will change their life and it probably won't but you'll probably get a whole lot out of it" scale.

Speaker for the Dead. Orson Scott Card is an asshole, and writes female characters like they have no free will. Reading his books feels like I'm being lectured by a professor. But some of the turns of logic and imagination are really cool.

At the Jazz Band Ball. Nat Hentoff is sort of a biographer/reviewer of Jazz musicians. Since so much of how they explain their music is very rarely about notes, chords, and tones, but more about communication, spirituality, and belonging, it's a fun and inspiring read. He does a good job at condensing a lot of history into some short and sweet essays.

The Coming Community. Giorgio Agamben's academic relationship to Foucault can be summarized as sucking his cock while masturbating. Heavy social philosophical theory reads like poetry.

Quote from: Socks on January 03, 2011, 09:56:24 PM
pompous talk for my eyes water and quiver with a twitch like a little bitch

Socks

Quote from: Kefker on June 19, 2011, 08:49:17 PM
Reading Fahrenheit 451. probably my favorite book of all time

It is a very good story. I have that book on audio tape, and for some reason in my iPod. When I am stoned and I am driving listening to music, Ray Bradbury will sometimes and suddenly interrupt, come on and speak a little random part of a random chapter which is quite profound and quite matches my sentimental attitude and that of the world around. It is often very fitting and really special. He speaks in metaphors and double tongue, so Mildred and the Fireman are both a part of my heart.

Hiro

I need to get me some books, I never read in my free time saddood;

Socks

Commander Fuckass

Reading:
Frankenstein
Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
http://psnprofiles.com/TheMaysian][/URL]3DS Friend Code: 5086-5790-7151

silvertone

Read:
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
Big Sur by Jack Kerouac
and
The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

Reading Naked Lunch right now. I don't care too much for it. It's ok. Beat novelists in general underwhelm me. Beat Poetry is phenomenal, however.

Commander Fuckass

Currently reading The Prince by Machiavelli
http://psnprofiles.com/TheMaysian][/URL]3DS Friend Code: 5086-5790-7151

Tri4se

Currently reading A Feast For Crows in the A Song of Ice and Fire series.

silvertone

Just finished The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami. It is really good.

Socks

I am reading [I]Trusting Soul[/I] and I love it. Very simple and yet sublime. The author poses questions in the form of general conversation and abstract illustrations. And in the process offers a very cool interpretation of finding truth. But that is different for you and me. So I suggest you read it yourself.

snoorkel

Today I picked up

Natural Knowledge in Preclassical Antiquity (Mott T. Greene)  - excellent so far, not dry at all
Glimpses of Hindu Astrology & Some Aspects of Indology - picked it off the 'occult' shelf, seems very relevant though
Mandala Symbolism (Jung) - have wanted this small book for awhile
The Psychology of the Transference (Jung) - Wasn't familiar with this but it seems very interesting
Valis (Philip K. Dick) - Very excited to read this as well.

Quote from: silvertone on July 25, 2011, 05:12:24 PM
Just finished The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami. It is really good.

I love Murakami, have currently only read his short story collections but I've had The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle on my wishlist for years.

silvertone

Bird Chronicle was the only thing I ever read by him, and it was really fucking good. I highly recommend.

I read:
The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea by Yukio Mishima which was good but not really well translated.
and some Anton Chekhov short stories.

??????

August 16, 2011, 01:57:57 PM #539 Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 02:04:44 PM by Clucky
Quote from: vziard on August 15, 2011, 07:39:51 PM
Today I picked up

Natural Knowledge in Preclassical Antiquity (Mott T. Greene)  - excellent so far, not dry at all
Glimpses of Hindu Astrology & Some Aspects of Indology - picked it off the 'occult' shelf, seems very relevant though
Mandala Symbolism (Jung) - have wanted this small book for awhile
The Psychology of the Transference (Jung) - Wasn't familiar with this but it seems very interesting
Valis (Philip K. Dick) - Very excited to read this as well.

I love Murakami, have currently only read his short story collections but I've had The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle on my wishlist for years.
jung is so heavy for me to digest
i've been reading his psychology&religion for about a year now, despite it being about 100 something pages long
it's sprinkled with obscure references and it's so goddamn heavy for me to digest well enough that i completely 'understand' it

but the complains against jung is just that
they say even jung probably didn't completely understand his ideas
and that just makes me even more fond of him

i still have to finish his man and his symbols and a cambridge introductory text to the works of jung
read dreams, memories and reflections
i think it's a very good introduction to jung because it isn't as "heavy" as the rest of his academic texts

right now i'm reading four books
a book on hypnotism and suggestibility (i'm drawn to milton erickson , founder of brief therapy and his marvelous use of using confusion to slip through consciousness--i've found strong similarities between that and rituals often found in magic which stirred my curiosities so much that i decided to study mentalism and magic for a while)

The Songs of Maldoror
aaaaand an ordinary coffee table book with giant pictures (a gift from a friend)
yes, well, they're 'pictures', but i tend to want to analyze and let myself drown in the photos with ambient playing in the background

Go Up