April 18, 2024, 04:00:02 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Clones.

Started by Kalahari Inkantation, December 15, 2007, 12:19:22 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

musica.cards

So because of that, we want to use the other kind of stem cells, right?
[move]gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby [/move]

guff

Quote from: some_person on December 22, 2007, 11:34:30 AM
So because of that, we want to use the other kind of stem cells, right?
embryonic? yes, mostly
it's possible that in some circumstances it would be more practical to utilize adult stem cells but a) this is pure speculation and b) no one's really done anything with stem cells for humans yet anyways

but as was mentioned some posts ago recent developments may allow stem cells that are equivalent to embryonic stem cells to be created from uh not embryos so that's cool

musica.cards

And why did we have to kill embryos from their stem cells before?
[move]gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby [/move]

guff

Quote from: some_person on December 22, 2007, 11:44:25 AM
And why did we have to kill embryos from their stem cells before?
well the way your question is phrased implies that the embryo is a sort of angry dragon guarding the cave in which it stores its precious treasures (the stem cells) and must be defeated to gain access, but in most cases the destruction of the embryo is inadvertent because well golly gee it's just hard to do, but some scientists people succeeded in getting stem cells from mouse embryos without harming the embryo but apparently it's somewhat impractical and they am need more funding
even then, i think they usually need more than just one line of stem cells, given that not every line will survive or will mutate or something or just not be usable so it's not like they can just perform the separation once and have a party and never worry about it ever again

and the embryos in use were from fertility clinics and were set to be destroyed or kept in storage past the point of being usable anyways not sure if this was already mentioned oh well

Zack777

We could clone some pretty awesome people, but would they think the same as they did before? (maybe not, but might be worth testing)

Houdini

Quote from: ZACK777 IS MUDKIPZ on December 23, 2007, 12:40:49 PM
We could clone some pretty awesome people, but would they think the same as they did before? (maybe not, but might be worth testing)
Why would the clone act the same? The clone and the original might display similar behavior because, you know, they have the exact same genetic makeup, but one's nature is not entirely determined by one's genetic makeup.

Flameow

I don't see human cloning as having any benefits.  If people want more humans, they should just have babies the normal way, I'm sure it's a lot easier and doesn't require us pouring billions of dollars into research.
Honestly...what's the purpose?  Unless someone wants a daughter or son that's EXACTLY the same as the father or mother, and one parent is infertile, it seems like a phenomenal waste of time, since getting a surrogate mother or artificial insemination is a lot less expensive.
I really hope that people aren't planning to recreate something out of "House of the Scorpion", where clones are harvested for their organs.  Creating a child that is destined to die for some rich asshole?  Right.

As for cloning animals, it wouldn't be a smart idea.  Even cloning endangered animals to try and revive the species is extremely dangerous, because by having tons of identical animals, there's no genetic variation and they could all die from the same disease if some aren't stronger than others.  The same goes for cloning animals for consumption - one disease, and they're all gone. 
And don't get me started on cat ladies who want to clone the late Mr. Mittens because they think that the clone is a reincarnation of their dead cat.  Ugh.

Houdini

Quote from: Flameow on February 22, 2008, 07:51:01 PM
I really hope that people aren't planning to recreate something out of "House of the Scorpion", where clones are harvested for their organs.  Creating a child that is destined to die for some rich asshole?  Right.
The idea is that we'll be able to clone individual organs instead of entire bodies.

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

The whole idea of cloning should have people seriously shaking in their boots. It's basically one step away from full fledged human engineering. For some reason the name Adolus Huxley keeps flashing in my head.............

Daddy

Quote from: Boognish on February 25, 2008, 12:39:11 PM
The whole idea of cloning should have people seriously shaking in their boots. It's basically one step away from full fledged human engineering. For some reason the name Adolus Huxley keeps flashing in my head.............
It can also go in a good direction and improve the lives of billions.

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

But it wont, and to think so is a little off base.  No matter how good intentions would be, there's going to be someone somewhere who manipulates the creepy/weird/disgusting side of it.  There's way too much people can do with genetic engineering. It's fucking ridiculous.

Houdini

Quote from: Boognish on April 04, 2008, 10:46:18 AM
But it wont, and to think so is a little off base.  No matter how good intentions would be, there's going to be someone somewhere who manipulates the creepy/weird/disgusting side of it.  There's way too much people can do with genetic engineering. It's fucking ridiculous.
Like what?

musica.cards

Quote from: Houdini on April 04, 2008, 07:05:33 PM
Like what?

If Korean scientists can make some kittens glow in UV light through genetic engineering, then knows what else scientists can do.

Houdini

Quote from: some_person on April 04, 2008, 07:47:39 PM
If Korean scientists can make some kittens glow in UV light through genetic engineering, then knows what else scientists can do.
I'm going to need some better evidence than glow-in-the-dark kittens.

musica.cards

Quote from: Houdini on April 04, 2008, 08:16:59 PM
I'm going to need some better evidence than glow-in-the-dark kittens.

Do you want me to get you the article? It should explain how the scientists did that, and how others could create another trait for an organism.

Go Up