April 18, 2024, 09:57:10 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Was life Found on Mars?

Started by Daddy, August 25, 2007, 09:03:57 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

guff

Quote from: JMV290 on December 08, 2007, 01:36:51 PM
Known Planets are not alive.   Maybe somewhere in another galaxy there is a planet that is made entirely of living cells, but no known planets are alive.
Mercury is a self-aware space station.  Does that count?

Daddy

Quote from: Commodore Guff on December 08, 2007, 03:38:41 PM
Mercury is a self-aware space station.  Does that count?
doez it have liquid underneath it's layers

Walter

Really now? This is interesting, I did not know they found evidence of life. This raises the chances of life being in other galaxies significantly. I had always thought that in order for life to survive there needed to be conditions very similar to earth.

Garahe

Microbes are in fact life. If that's all Mars sports for life, we can still rest peacefully knowing the Earth isn't alone when it comes to life.
HOLY COW I'M TOTALLY GOING SO FAST-AW FUCK

kid_rock

January 16, 2008, 02:36:28 PM #19 Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 02:39:32 PM by kid_rock
Im thinking that maybe just maybe we are the aliens from mars. I know it may sound crazy but what if we were somehow put on earth from our real home planet mars. Now just remember  [glow=green,2,300]JUST A POSSIBILITY[/glow]

EDIT: Also the atoms and junk that make up us lifeforms may be different from other planets. there might be different minerals that we dont know about. Thats another possibility

me003

Quote from: kid_rock on January 16, 2008, 02:36:28 PM
Im thinking that maybe just maybe we are the aliens from mars. I know it may sound crazy but what if we were somehow put on earth from our real home planet mars. Now just remember  [glow=green,2,300]JUST A POSSIBILITY[/glow]
Don't you think if we came from mars, we would have still retained that technology, or at least some technology that allowed them to get to Earth, rather than being fucking cavemen? Also Lawls aready said that theory.

EDIT: Also the atoms and junk that make up us lifeforms may be different from other planets. there might be different minerals that we dont know about. Thats another possibility
I just read something about the weather pattern on Venus (it was on Digg) that may have said that the atoms or whatever are unknown.
Quote from: reefer on November 29, 2007, 11:32:08 PM
No offense to her but she kinda doesn't know crap about shit

:atomsk:

Travis

Mars probably does have microbes. I believe they're called "extremist" or something, but they're microbes that can survive in extreme conditions, such as highly radioactive, hot, cold, etc.

Daddy

Quote from: Eureka! on January 31, 2009, 02:40:51 PM
Mars probably does have microbes. I believe they're called "extremist" or something, but they're microbes that can survive in extreme conditions, such as highly radioactive, hot, cold, etc.
Extremophiles

l a c e y

could you sum up that article so i dont have to read thew hole thing.

Chōshū

Life on Mars would be hard to come by.  It's definitely a less hospitable place than Earth. 

First of all, large bodies of water can't exist on Mars.  The air pressure isn't high enough there; large bodies of water just boil into glass and rise into the sky.  Also, due to the thin atmosphere, there's no ozone to prevent ultraviolet rays from pummeling the surface.  There's not enough oxygen for Earth-bound creatures either, and it's a far colder place than Earth.

It's possible to make a thicker atmosphere on Mars through terraforming since many of these gasses are trapped within the glaciers of the planet, but it would be a very very long time before any "large" life could survive on Mars.

Microbes would have similar struggles.  During the 1970's scientists took tiny lifeforms and put them in concealed environments meant to simulate Mars.  These experiments were called "Mars Jars."  A lot of the microbes would die off from ultraviolet, some would die off from the lack of water, some would die off from the temperature, but then there were always some that were able to survive....During the day (Mars has 24 hour days like Earth) the microbes would hide underneath the soil to lessen the blow of the ultraviolet rays, and then from there would strategically make their moves to survive.

It's quite fascinating really.  But imagine....If Earth-bound creatures could survive in the Martian terrain, then creatures who evolved on Mars would definitely have an easier time.  Honestly though, if there is life on Mars, I say we leave it alone.  Let it evolve and grow on it's own.  Humans don't need to corrupt another world (although we will, lol). 

strongbad

Quote from: Ch...sh...« on August 04, 2009, 05:55:44 AM
Life on Mars would be hard to come by.  It's definitely a less hospitable place than Earth. 

Well duh.
I doubt that there is life in our galaxy, but I have nothing to back that up so feel free to prove me wrong.

guff

Quote from: GOB on August 05, 2009, 09:27:10 PM
I doubt that there is life in our galaxy, but I have nothing to back that up so feel free to prove me wrong.
i submit myself as evidence akudood;

Chōshū

Quote from: GOB on August 05, 2009, 09:27:10 PM
Well duh.

Our galaxy is a big place brah.  I'd say there's plenty of life in our galaxy.  Our solar system is unlikely though; although there's still a possibility in places like Europa and such

Go Up